I'm thinking of becoming a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian and need help with a diet plan.?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 5
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is nothing exotic about vegetarian eating. In fact, the United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Dietary Guidelines for Americans now work for vegetarian diets, too!

The USDA has replaced their old-style "Meat Food Group" with the new-style "Protein Food Group", which includes beans, nuts, and seeds. Here is the USDA's tips for vegetarians: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/healthy-eating-tips/t...

Below, I've pasted the USDA's "My Plate" guide to healthy eating. When you eat, just fill your plate approximately as shown. As a vegetarian, your "Protein Food Group" foods will be things like beans, peas, vegetarian chili, falafel, tofu, refried beans, and peanut butter.

Also, be sure to eat enough calories! Not eating enough calories is one of the biggest mistakes that new vegetarians make. This mistake is easy to make, because starchy vegetables (beans, corn, potatoes, grains) and sweet fruits are low in calories, even compared to "low fat" meats. I strongly suggest that you use online meal calorie/nutrition websites, such as http://nutritiondata.self.com/ , to plan vegetarian meals that will provide you with at least 2000 calories per day (or more, if you are physically active).

Attachment image
  • 6 years ago

Well I'm a vegan, and while I can't give you any sort of diet plan that a nutritionist would give to you, I'll tell you what I tend to eat throughout the day.

Breakfast

Leftovers

Oatmeal

Cereal with almond/soy milk

Banana or other kinds of fruit

Generally I add some hemp hearts and chia seeds to whatever I have

Lunch

Some sort of sandwich, usually with something like avocado or hummus

Potato salad

Quinoa salad

Actual salad

Lentils

Veggieburger/ other mock meats

Snacks (I'll have a few of these through the day)

Nuts

Fruit salad

Smoothie

Almonds

Seeds

Dinner

Stuffed mushrooms

Buckwheat noodles

Stirfry

Quinoa salads

Regular salads

Beans

Tacos with mock meat, beans, salsa, guacamole etc.

Samosas

These are a few of the foods I eat

• 6 years ago

Just eat meat in moderation

• 6 years ago

sure why not

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.