Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 5 years ago

Has anyone been executed in the United States for a crime that did not involve murder?

Update:

I'm referring to documented state-sponsored executions, and not about if the alleged person actually commited the crime, but only the nature of the crime they are accused of. I'm guessing there have been a few executions for treason? But I am not sure if there are other crimes other than murder that can receive the death penalty? Perhaps some stuff with slaves in the south?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Ronald Wolfe was the last person executed in the United States for non-homicidal rape, and second-to-last put to death for crime other than murder (the last was James Coburn, electrocuted in Alabama the same year for robbery). He was also second-to-last person executed in Missouri before the U.S. moratorium on capital punishment. ... Wolfe, a 34-year-old man, was put to death in Missouri's gas chamber on May 8, 1964. He was convicted of brutal attack of an 8-year-old girl on October 18, 1959 near Troy, Missouri, just 3 days after his release from the federal penitentiary in Georgia. Wolfe's case drew nationwide attention due to United States Supreme Court ruling in Kennedy v. Louisiana, which banned death penalty for child rape, and was directly cited in court opinions.

• 5 years ago

Yes, but not for decades.

There used to be many crimes that could result in execution. However, I believe the Supreme Court has invalidated the use of the death penalty for any crime except treason or a crime involving murder.

• 5 years ago

Yes. Take a look at http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/death-penalty-offe...

Take a look at the Texas Law of Parties.

• 5 years ago

Yes, the Jewish communists Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were executed for conspiracy to commit espionage. They passed information about nuclear weapons to Stalin.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lomax
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

A fair few executions took place during the Civil War (both sides) for spying for the enemy, or dereliction of duty.

It was said of Stonewall Jackson, for example that, "He would have a man shot at the drop of a hat - and he would drop the hat himself."

• 5 years ago

Yes, one example would be people who were caught giving information to an enemy during war. One couple that did this was Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.

• 5 years ago

Back in the 1800s horse theft was punishable by hanging

• k
    Lv 6
    5 years ago

treason

• Carl
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

a guy named lee harvey...although that did involve murder...just he wasnt THE murderer

• Carl
      Lv 4
      5 years agoReport

caspian yeah ok...f*ck oliver stone...YOURE right

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.