Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 6 years ago

Hair growth and stress?

My hair should grow pretty quickly I mean it's literally a day or two passes and I need to do my eyebrows because they grow out so fast. Lately or should I say for the past year now I've been really stressed 15 units internship looking for another job after my internship is over and being a caregiver to my grandma. I try to take multivitamins but I don't feel they do anything. Plus I think my hair falls out a lot and isn't really growing long like it should. How can I get it to grow longer? Oh and I have dry scalp too. So far T-gel helps a little but I feel like it's not moisturizing enough. Help?? I will choose best an awe for points!!!!

• Suresh
    Favorite Answer

Minoxidil 2% is the only topical medication approved by the FDA for female-pattern hair loss. I find that the stronger minoxidil 5%, approved only for male-pattern hair loss, is very effective in women as well. But it can sometimes increase facial hair growth.

The 2% and 5% solutions are available over the counter in a liquid, and the 5% is also available in a foam. Minoxidil works by prolonging the growth phase of hair -- providing more time for hair to grow out to its full density.

You have to be patient, as noticeable results usually take three to four months and the product must be used twice a day. It tends to work better if started early.

I put some on my forearm and got a big thick patch of hair. When I stopped, it went away.

Doctors may also test for levels of ferritin (a protein that indicates the amount of total body iron stores). New research suggests levels may be low in women with hair loss. Iron supplements may help.

Also new is the HairMax Laser Comb. It's a red light therapy hairbrush-like device that increases circulation and the biological march that makes hair. It's only approved in men (though some women are using it) and in my experience, is not as good as minoxidil. But in one study, 45% of users reported improvement after eight weeks, and 90% saw improvement after 16 weeks.

In some cases, a hormonal abnormality, such as excess male hormones known as androgens, may be responsible for hair loss in women. One clue that hormones are involved is if the hair loss pattern resembles that of a man’s hair loss. This can be treated with prescription medications such as spironolactone or oral contraceptives.

In men, finasteride (originally marketed as Proscar) is approved for hair loss associated with androgens. In one study, 62% of women also taking oral contraceptives containing the synthetic progestin drospirenone reported improvement. So it may be effective for female hair loss in the setting of increased androgen. But studies are limited and it is harmful to the male fetus so should not be used by women thinking about becoming pregnant or who are pregnant.

Another treatment option is hair transplantation, in which tiny hair follicles taken from one area of the scalp are transplanted into the affected areas. It can be very effective and produce permanent results that are natural looking.

Should I change my hair care regimen?

No. Since there is no structural problem with the hair with female-pattern hair loss, women should continue their regular hair styling regimen. Sometimes women think they should stop washing, coloring, or perming their hair, but these things won’t impact the course of hair loss or speed up the process.

Wash with an anti-dandruff shampoo that contains ketoconazole (an antifungal) or zinc pyrthione (an antifungal and antibacterial).

Can hair loss be a sign of a more serious problem?

Yes. Hyperandrogenism, a medical condition characterized by excessive production of male hormones called androgens, can cause hair loss in affected women. The most common cause of hyperandrogenism in women is functional ovarian hyperandrogenism, also known as polycystic ovary syndrome. In addition to hair loss, other signs include obesity, acne, and irregular menstruation, and it is one of the most common causes of infertility.

Many of these women have metabolic syndrome -- a combination of five medical conditions including belly fat and high blood pressure that increase the risk of diabetes, heart attack, and stroke.

Although hair loss stemming from hyperandrogenism can be treated with minoxidil, you need to seek care for the other conditions.

To know more, visit : http://www.helpingdoc.com/speciality/trichologist/