Fellow Londoners: have any of you ever heard of a place in Enfield, which is nicknamed "Spike Island", please?

If so, please could you tell me whereabouts in Enfield it actually is? Only, I was watching a Chas and Dave documentary recently, and Dave Peacock said he comes from there and that you "won't find it on any map", which, funnily enough, I can't. I'm Edmonton, born and bred, and I only lived about twenty minutes from Enfield, and about ten from Ponders End, but I've never heard of it. Whereabouts is it, please, guys? My mum said she's got a good idea that it's over near Enfield Lock- (or at least, towards that way), but I'd really appreciate your angles on this one, please, guys. Much obliged. Peace and love. Be lucky.

Best Answer

Spike Island was an area of Ponders End that centred around Northampton Road.

It had a pub called the Granville and a corner shop where as a child i remember you couldnt touch the sweets.

You had to point out what you wanted and then would be served

Dave Peacock lived there as a child opposite my nan

We used to fish in Wrights Flour Mill for some of the most amazing fish including Barbel

There was Tempo warehouse and AEI cables

A makeshift football pitch where the goalposts were made from scaffolding poles

And back in the day the street lamps were gas!

• Spike Island is a small part of Ponders End between the River Lea navigation and the railway

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponders_End (2nd paragraph of History section)

People have been calling Ponders End "spike island" for centuries because of the poverty

I Googled and the site Ediths Streets refers to it in connection with Duck Lees Lane