Fellow Londoners: have any of you ever heard of a place in Enfield, which is nicknamed "Spike Island", please?

If so, please could you tell me whereabouts in Enfield it actually is? Only, I was watching a Chas and Dave documentary recently, and Dave Peacock said he comes from there and that you "won't find it on any map", which, funnily enough, I can't. I'm Edmonton, born and bred, and I only lived about twenty minutes from Enfield, and about ten from Ponders End, but I've never heard of it. Whereabouts is it, please, guys? My mum said she's got a good idea that it's over near Enfield Lock- (or at least, towards that way), but I'd really appreciate your angles on this one, please, guys. Much obliged. Peace and love. Be lucky.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Best Answer

Spike Island was an area of Ponders End that centred around Northampton Road.

It had a pub called the Granville and a corner shop where as a child i remember you couldnt touch the sweets.

You had to point out what you wanted and then would be served

Dave Peacock lived there as a child opposite my nan

We used to fish in Wrights Flour Mill for some of the most amazing fish including Barbel

There was Tempo warehouse and AEI cables

A makeshift football pitch where the goalposts were made from scaffolding poles

And back in the day the street lamps were gas!

• Spike Island is a small part of Ponders End between the River Lea navigation and the railway

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponders_End (2nd paragraph of History section)
  • 5 years ago

People have been calling Ponders End "spike island" for centuries because of the poverty

• 5 years ago

I Googled and the site Ediths Streets refers to it in connection with Duck Lees Lane

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.