Would it be cheaper to hire movers when I'm going across the country or to do it myself?

I am soon starting my junior year in high school, living in Massachusetts. Once I graduate I am going to be moving to California for college. Would it be cheaper to hire movers to get my stuff there and then just fly over or would it be cheaper to rent a U-Haul or a trailer and make the ~one week long drive? Lol I know this is a bit far in advance, but I was just wondering.

• Hugo90
    Favorite Answer

Getting a container and packing it yourself is likely to be the cheapest. Upack.com is my favorite, having used them three times to move. They transport it for you to unload at your convenience. Renting a truck will cost more because of the huge fuel expense added on to the rental cost. A full service mover will cost a lot more, several times.