:-/ asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 5 years ago

The confederate flag?

I was wondering how everyone felt about the confederate flag being used in modern day, such as on the Mississippi State Flag or as car stickers. What does the flag mean to you?

Best Answer

Personally I think that the flag even still exists just proves how far this country still needs to go.

I mean its the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Its absolutely ridiculous that the confederate flag would be celebrated in any way shape form or fashion, the confederates lost the Civil War simple as that.

Only in America would we celebrate the failures of an a opposing force by having there flag and everything that flag stand for be part of our current everyday society.

Ive never been one of those flag waving patriots or pro USA enthusiast, but as an American and as a black man I find it more then a little insulting I have to see people proudly walking around with Confederate flag t-shirts bumper stickers or any other related paraphernalia.

Which has to be the most anti American symbol ever created.

• :-/5 years agoReport

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful opinions and staying relatively respectful of boundaries. If anyone was wondering I am 14 from CT, and I am a mixed girl. The reason I asked was because I have been seeing more and more of the flag up here than ever, and I wanted to hear some opinions on the flag.

• Andrew

Many Southerners defend their decision to display the Confederate flag by saying that it represents "Southern Pride." While I certainly don't think that Northerners, Midwesterners or people from the Western United States would disagree that the South has a unique history, it really makes zero sense to anyone outside of the South why Southerners would choose to embrace a divisive symbol of hatred and of defeat. It's important to note that what we refer to as "The Confederate Flag" was never actually adopted as the official "national" flag of the confederacy, it was actually a modification of the Confederate Naval Jack and there were several flags in use by the individual Confederate States and their individual armies and militias over the course of the war, but today, the Confederate flag that we see Southerners flying proudly is one that they feel represents all Southerners collectively and the one that they choose to embrace. When a territory is conquered in war, it is usually up to the victor whether or not certain symbols will be banned going forward. The American Civil War was remarkable for the fact that there was so little animosity in the aftermath of the fighting between the two sides, both between the combatants and the civilians. Of course, this is not to suggest that there were no ill-feelings at all, but compared to other conflicts, the winning and losing sides managed to look past their differences and the holding of grudges and acts of retribution were the exception rather than the rule. The United States is incredibly lax when it comes to such things. Citizens are permitted to burn their national flag in public, fly Nazi Swastika flags, fly Ku-Klux-Klan flags, fly the flags of other nations from their own homes, etc., so it's not really surprising that there is no law against flying the Confederate flag. But most Americans who aren't Southerners cannot fathom why the South feels the need to distance itself from the remainder of the country, especially when they do so by embracing the flag that symbolized their desire to leave the Union. The flag represents the fact that they were ultimately not able to do so and the fact that they continue to fly it with false pride seems bizarre considering that to the rest of us, it is the symbol of losers defiantly displaying the fact that they are losers. This is not even to mention that it is an insult to the brave men who fought to preserve the integrity of the Union and that it is just as much of an insult to the millions of Black Americans who see the flag as a symbol of their oppression. But then again, if Southerners want to display "Southern Pride" on a flag, what other options do they really have? I guess they could put a trailer on a flag, or a jug of moonshine, or an F-150, or some redneck making out with his sister or something like that, so maybe all in all, it's not too much to ask for the rest of us to let them have their little Dixie Banner lashed to the hood of their dusty pickup truck or flying from some weather-beaten barn in a field off of some dirt road somewhere. The South is the fastest growing region in the country. The population is swelling more and more all the time. Newcomers don't buy into all of that "Southern Pride" pseudo-borderline racist nonsense anyway. Let the babies have their bottle for a few more years until people down there start waking up to the 21st Century. If you ask me, they can keep the flag if they agree to drop those godawful accents!

• Andrew
      5 years agoReport

The expression is "toodles" I can assure you of that. It comes from the French. Look it up.

I think its more than stupid, because the one called "the confederate flag" with the blue X with white stars inset, on a red background, based loosely on the S. Andrews Cross, is not the Confederate flag at all, but the Confederate battle emblem. There were four consecutive designs, starting with the "Bonny Blue" and going from the First National to the Second National to the Third National - which was the final design.

• Andrew
      5 years agoReport

As strong as you are? The South is home to the poorest states, boasts an embarrassing number of the most crime-ridden cities and is the butt of every joke. A bunch of delusional inbred racist losers doesn't constitute strength. The North has ALWAYS carried the South. And you know it.

• Mel

Living in the 21st century, I don't have any "feelings" about the Confederate flag but flags, like any symbol, conjure up or evoke all sorts of associations for people, such as those identified by Pops elsewhere here.

I'm not a fan of the confederate battle flag. Not a fan.

If it were just a symbol of a defeated enemy, I might feel differently. However, almost all of those who display the flag are making a statement about how they believe social relations were better in the South in the 1850s than they are today. Sorry, I just can't get on board with that.

The Confederate flag is a symbol of treason formulated because the traitors lost an election and were insanely paranoid that they would then lose their right to own other human beings. As far as I'm concerned, the Confederate flag (any of them) should be burned and spat on, never honored.

• Lv 7
      5 years agoReport

the Confederate Flag is a Symbol of Freedom freedom from the Racist Lincoln

I love the Confederate Flag, my Confederate ancestors, and the South. The Flag is not only a remembrance of the soldiers who gave everything to protect their homes and families from an invading army, it has been used for centuries, as a symbol of resistance to tyranny. Based on the St. Andrews Cross. We have a large, tyrannical fed gov today, due to the war, Lincoln and the loss of sovereign states to keep the feds in line. The war was about keeping the Constitution as it had been created, by the founders, and taxes. Slavery wasn't even mentioned until Lincoln realized that even northern states knew that secession was legal, and the basis of our country's founding. Lincoln was a racist and a tyrant and he began the long, downward spiral of our loss of freedom.

• Andrew
      5 years agoReport

What's all this "we" stuff? NONE of the Southerners I know think the South would have been better off leaving the Union. And ALL of them are open to a vote on whether or not the Confederate flag ought to be banned from government buildings. Personal display is optional. You don't speak for everyone.

I am a Brown Australian and I fly it on My Motorcycle Jacket and on my home as a Protest to to much Government In interference in My affairs

why should I be forced to wear special coloured clothing just because i ride a Motorcycle

............the question is in-portent .........