Thomson asked in HealthDental · 5 years ago

Will an Occlusal Guard stop me grinding my teeth?

It cost almost $500 for one of these dental mouth guards. Will they actually stop me from grinding my teeth?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A mouth guard won't stop you from trying to grind your teeth. It just protects them from damage. If you experience jaw pain, then a mouth guard won't really change anything.

To stop the teeth grinding you will have to make some lifestyle changes and start doing some daily jaw exercises that target the problem. Usually takes about 2 months to cure the issue.

• 5 years ago

I don't know where you get your prices, but it costs far less than $500 to get a custom mouth guard those days. Check out the prices of those popular dental labs and see for yourself: http://www.cureyourbruxism.com/top-online-dental-l...

While occlusal guard won't stop you from grinding teeth, it does protect your teeth from the damage of teeth grinding. Since it can take a few weeks (and months) before finding and eliminating the cause of your teeth grinding, here's my advice: get a good custom night guard as soon as possible. And then go find what is causing your teeth grinding.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

They don't stop the grinding. They restrain the grinding to reduce or eliminate the damage from grinding which wears away your enamel. Five hundred is pricy. They usually cause about $300, which is still expensive but less.

They work as long as you wear them, but again you grind and eventually wore down the guard - which is better than wearing down your teeth.

• 5 years ago

the mouth guard is to protect your teeth. it won't stop the grinding. sorry

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

It will keep you from damaging your teeth when you sleep. relieving stress may help you stop grinding.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.