Is Cilla Black a nasty piece of work?

A friend and I have just been discussing the career of the late, great Dusty Springfield and how fabulous a talent she was-and very nice apparently. After discussing other chanteuses from the 60's such as Sandy Shaw and Lulu, I was shocked to discover that Cilla Black was the biggest-selling female artist of... show more A friend and I have just been discussing the career of the late, great Dusty Springfield and how fabulous a talent she was-and very nice apparently. After discussing other chanteuses from the 60's such as Sandy Shaw and Lulu, I was shocked to discover that Cilla Black was the biggest-selling female artist of the decade.
This bemuses me! I understand that people consider her a national treasure after hosting hit television shows such as Blind Date and Surprise Surprise making her the highest paid female television presenter of the 80's and 90's, but she has always struck me as a narcissistic, stuck-up and difficult piece of work, who has forgotten her humble, working class roots in Liverpool.

My grandmother once met her in Deansgate in the late 90's, and after asking her for her autograph-Cilla gave her the most disgusted look, and appeared very inconvenienced by the request.

After reading lots of examples of her bitterness, I find it hard to believe she is anything but nasty.