How can I get my boss to let me stay home?

First of all, i'm 17. I know if I straight out say I'm sick she will not let me stay home. She made me go to work on Christmas Eve with the flu which was in full force might I add, she's made me cover another persons shift (only a few hour notice) while I had an extremely catchy virus which puts everybody else there at risk, and I have no idea what I have right now but I'm beginning to think it's some sort of flu. Either way, I'm absolutely miserable.

I work 2 shifts tomorrow-morning and night and I know there is NO way I'm going to be able to stay there for 12-13 hours. I went in today because I was too afraid to call in but I had to go home early. She's out of state which is why I was able to go home early today but it got to the point where I couldn't sit up and any kind of movement was just horrible especially lifting things and moving which is basically all I do. How can I get her to let me stay home?

I've been sick twice in the year that I've worked there.

I was going to go see a doctor but decided there probably isn't much they can do with a fever and lots of pain other than recommend ibuprofen. I ended up talking to her and surprisingly she's trying to find someone to cover for me. I'm honestly surprised and feel kind of dumb for being afraid to ask.

I am and have been looking for another job, just can't find any at the moment so for now this is my only option.

Favorite Answer

The easy solution is you go to a Dr next time you are sick. Then when you ring up :-

"Dr says i'm not allowed to come to work" Then provide the details if they need to check.

It sounds though like your boss has too much of a power hold on you, you might want to consider looking for other jobs so you feel confident enough saying "look i'm not well and can't come in, i'm following the process an letting you know, but I can't come in, i'll call you tomorrow with an update"

Source(s): I'm a Manager. If you are sick, I don't want you coming in. But unlike your boss, I won't badger you to come to work, if I suspect you are well enough or taking too much time off i'd start the termination process.

This is my opinion: You seem sick a lot. I think your boss thinks you are just trying to get out of working by saying you're sick. However, if you're sick, stay home.