promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

how do you convert kg to g/cm cubed and to use the density of g/cm cubed to find the volume that has the mass of a kg (more details )?

I am doing some chemistrysummer work and i have seemed how to do the math. i need help to solve these problems.(do not solve it for me i want to know how)

1)The density of gold is 19.3g/cm cubed. What is the volume of gold that has a mass of 1 kg?

2) A graduated cylinder is filled with water to a level of 40.0 mL. When a piece of copper is lowered into the cylinder, the water level rises to 63.4 mL.

what is the volume of the copper sample and if the density of copper is 8.9g/cm cubed, what is its mass?

Please explain how to solve the problems step by step or link a video that can explain how to do this well.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Dean
    Lv 6
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1)

(dont use cm cubed for stating volumes, use cubic centimetres ( cu cm), there is a difference )

Firstly put all in the same units :

density = 19.39 grams per cu cm

mass = 1,000 grams (which is 1 kg)

The root equation to use is :

density = mass / volume

(transposed to : volume = mass / density)

The answer will be in cubic centimetres

2)

Essentially mL and cubic centimetres are the same thing, which solves part of this problem.

Subtract the volumes to get the volume of copper in mL

(which is also cubic centimetres)

So now you have the volume of copper (in cu cm) and the density of copper, so use the previous root equation and transpose for mass : mass = volume * density

(the answer will be in grams)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

1)

19.3g/cm^3 = 1000g/Xcm^3

Xcm^3 = 1000g/19.3g/cm^3 = 51.8cm^3

2)

63.4mL - 40mL = 23.4mL

1mL = 1cm^3

volume = 23.4cm^3

density = 8.9g/cm^3

d = m/v

8.9g/cm^3 = m/23.4cm^3

m = 23.4cm^3(8.9g/cm^3) = 208.3g

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.