Relocating to Indianapolis, IN?

I currently live in Albuquerque, NM and the company I work for is opening an office in Indianapolis, IN.

I'm very interested in relocating, but I would like to gather a lot more info before packing up and leaving. Can someone please answer the below questions?

1. What are some areas to avoid?

2. What is the atmosphere like?

3. I'm 22, into art, and music. Not much for drinking, but I enjoy outdoor activity. Will there be a lot to do

4. What's your personal opinion on the city?

5. If I enjoy the area I do want to purchase a house. What's the market like?

6. How is the work ethic?

7. Is this a good place to raise a family?

You are welcome to share more :)

• Evan
    Favorite Answer

Trashy trolling answers as always.

I would google Indianapolis crime map from IMPD and look for neighborhoods with low to no violent crime.

#2 Indianapolis offers you all the big city bang without the costs or hassle.

#3 Yes theres alot to do in Indianapolis and within a 3 hour drive away. You have Lake Michigan, Hoosier National Forest, Cincy, Chicago and so on.

#4 Indianapolis is probably one of the most successful cities in the country. Here's some info on that: http://www.indydt.com/

Downtown has come a long way from being dead as a doornail after 5 PM in the 1970s and 1980s to be a bustling 24/7 Downtown today.

#5 Indianapolis has the nations most affordable housing market with average homes going for 125,000

#6 the Work Ethic is fine.

#7 yes and actually some of the suburbs of Indianapolis like Carmel and Fishers are ranked as the best places in the country to raise a family.

Source(s): Crazy Harry not everything inside I-465 is Ghetto. There's nice neighborhoods within 465 like Irvington, Broad Ripple and so on.

Evan is pretty right on all accounts, so I will add just a few comments.

1. I will retract my previous comment on not living inside the 465 loop, there are nice areas inside the loop. A lot of people who work in Indy live in the surrounding counties and drive in. Here is a link to the crime map viewer Evan suggested. http://maps.indy.gov/MapIndy/Index.html?theme=crim...

2. Indy has a good atmosphere, It's the not the country hick town everyone else in the world says it is.

3. There is a lot to do in Indy, you say you are into the arts, Indy even has a couple of areas considered and even called the Arts District. You can find more info at http://visitindy.com/

4. My personal opinion is that Indy is a nice place, but you will hear from people who say they don't like it so you will have to decide for yourself.

5. Housing market is good. You can start your house search using MIBOR which list just about every property in central Indiana that is listed by a realtor http://www.mibor.com/index.php

6. Good work ethic.

7. Yes, if you move to the right area of town and schools. I would suggest avoiding moving to an area with Indianapolis Public Schools. IPS schools are the worst schools in the state.

Source(s): Evan, I didn't say everything inside 465 was ghetto and I used the term "personally" as to refer to it as my own feeling/opinion on the subject and not as a fact.
    • Emily M
      5 years agoReport

There are some decent neighborhoods within 465, e.g. the ones in the downtown area, Holy Cross, parts of Beech Grove, the Old Northside, etc., Meridian Hills, Williams Creek, Forest Hills, etc.

I agree with Crazy Harry and Evan, so I won't add much. Look at the crime map to see places to avoid. Also, look up the ISTEP scores regarding school districts.

You might enjoy some of the events at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. Or the Thursday night Concerts on the Canal at the Indiana History Center. Or Symphony on the Prairie. You might enjoy walking, skating, bicycling, etc. on the Greenways, or hiking at Fort Harrison, or sailing on Eagle Creek Reservoir,

there would be a lot to do in the stadium

I do not know?