why is my transfer speed so slow in windows vista?

I have five all windows 7 (x64)computers in the house connected to a home server that handles the telephone,printer,security cameras and most of our files get stored on it. The problem is my main computer died and I need to use an old computer with windows vista 32 bit while I wait for a replacement motherboard. Vista seems to hang while talking to the server. the files I want will show up but it takes 20 mins with a blue circle.

Computer specs of the one I am using.

intel 2.4 ghz quad core

8 gb's 1066mhz of ocz reaper 5-5-5-15 @2.2v

asus p5g41-m-le MB

320gb 6mb/s western digital hard drive

xfx geforce 9800gtx video card 512 ram

vista 32 bit OS

Rosewill 600w PS

Anyone have any idea's? and it is all hard wired lan I crawled under the house last summer and ran cat 6 to every room in the house

Favorite Answer

Well, hopefully your cables are done right, but you should check that to be sure. One bad wire can degrade a connection to CAT3 speeds easily enough. Your computer may even show the status of the connection with the LEDs by the Ethernet.

You could also consider switching to a version of Linux, as with SAMBA, you can get all of the benefits of a Windows server, without the expense, and given that you have 32-bit Vista, you can make use of the RAM on that system. You may even be able to do this well enough with a Linux USB stick if you don't want to overwrite thei nstalled OS.

I just think it is odd that the windows 7 computers are instant to the server but the only vista computer lags and it is bugging me