Why was James Gandolfini's funeral at an Episcopal Church?

This is from his Wikipedia page:

"Gandolfini was born in Westwood, New Jersey. His mother, Santa (née Penna), a high school lunch lady, was born in the United States, of Italian ancestry, and raised in Naples, Italy. His father, James Joseph Gandolfini, Sr., a native of Borgotaro, Italy, was a bricklayer and cement mason and was later the head custodian at Paramus Catholic High School in New Jersey.James Sr. earned a Purple Heart in World War II. Gandolfini's parents were devout Roman Catholics and spoke Italian at home. Due to the influence of his parents, he developed a strong sense of being Italian and visited Italy regularly."

Any evidence to suggest Gandolfini left the Catholic Church and joined the Episcopal Church? Was he a member of a particular Episcopal parish? Did his Italian family, all raised Catholic, all become Episcopalians? I'm just asking, since it sure puzzled a lot of people a year ago when the choice not to have a Roman Catholic funeral Mass (to which he would have been entitled by virtue of his Catholic Baptism) was apparently made by his family. Even though he was divorced from his first wife, he most certainly would have still been entitled to a funeral Mass in the Catholic Church.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I noticed that too. Gandolfini was divorced and who even knows where his first marriage took place. He probably was not concerned about getting an annulment before he married his second wife so that one was likely just a civil marriage. He supposedly loves his Italian heritage and his biography does say he was raised in a very devout Catholic Family; his dad working for a Catholic high school. Not to have the funeral in his native NJ and not to have it in a Catholic Church did seem quite odd. But, the important thing was that a copy of his funeral programwas on sale on Ebay the same day for like over $1,000.00 That's what was important.

nydailynews.com/new-york/james-gandolfini-funeral-program-sold-article-1.1385014

Attachment image
    • Login to reply the answers
  • John S
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

As noted at the "Gothamist" web site:

The Daily News notes that Gandolfini was Catholic and St. John the Divine is an Episcopalian church, adding that many other famous people (Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, James Baldwin, Nikola Tesla, Mayor John Lindsay, Dizzy Gillespie, Jim Henson, George Balanchine) also had funeral services there. Our guess: The seating capacity for St. Patrick's Cathedral in Midtown is about 2,500; St. John the Divine's nave can hold 6,000. Plus, it's probably easier to manage traffic uptown, versus in Midtown.

http://gothamist.com/2013/06/24/james_gandolfinis_...

• NONAME
      Lv 4
      6 years agoReport

I learned something from your answer. I had also wondered, since I assumed Mr. Gandolfini was a Catholic. That makes a lot of sense, other than they could have still had a Catholic mass instead of an Episcopal funeral service. Right? I think the two denominations would respect each other.

• NONAME
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

Catholic Cathedral midtown Manhattan holds far less than the Episcopal Church St. John the Divine. They were expecting thousands. God knows why. He did more to promote the negative stereotypes of Catholics and Italians than Mussolini.

• Jimbo
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

The funeral is for the living. It isn't for the dead. They aren't aware of anything. His family made the decision. It's their right to do so.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

Why do you care? Clearly his family wasn't bothered.

• Pretty sillt to ask someone who asks a question on YAHOO ANSWERS "WHY DO YOU CARE?" You've GOT to be joking! WHy does ANYONE care to ask questions? Because they hope for an ANSWER, not a ridiculous counter-question, which BTW is a violation of the TOS of Yahoo Answers! LOL

• 6 years ago

What ever difference does it make to you? Honestly...

IMHO

• ...Show all comments
    • I second the motion that you are an "AYHOLE"

If you want to ask a quesiton, feel free. But you sure did not answer the question posed. If it bothered you why not just ignore it and move on? This is, after all, Yahoo ANSWERS and you did not answer the question!

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

A person can eventually die a happy death if during life he or she practices devotion to the rоѕаrу.

http://www.marian.org/13th/howto.php

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.