Vaccination against Hepatitis B?

Hello!

I have a problem. I need to sign either I've been vaccinated against Hepatitis B or not and because I wasn't sure if I was vaccinated or not, I looked in my certificate of vaccination, where is written that I have been vaccinated three times against Hepatitis B, twice in 2002 and once in 2003 (I was born 1994).

Why three times? Does everybody need to be vaccinated three times against Hepatitis B? Do I need to be vaccinated again? Where do I sign- "I've been ..." or "I haven't been ..."? How long does the vaccination last?

Thanks in advance.

• JayM
    Favorite Answer

To ensure complete protection against HBV infection, it takes three doses of the vaccine over the course of 12-18 months. A single dose will provide some protection, but the immunity will be lower grade and might not provide lasting immunity. The booster shots are essential to increase your titer of protective antibody, and to ensure that the immunity will last for several years, usually providing life-long rotation. You should not need another vaccination. If you are doing something that is potentially a high risk for HBV infection, like working with the virus or with infected individuals, you might consider one more booster just to be entirely safe, but otherwise, you should be considered immune and safe from infection.

Source(s): FYI, I am a medical virologist.
    • Lola5 years agoReport

Just one more question: Should I, as a "fresh" med student, vaccinate against Hepatitis B, even though I have already been vaccinated at the age of 8? What do you recommend?