Anon asked in SportsOlympics · 5 years ago

Will we ever host an Olympics again?

Favorite Answer

The new International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach of Germany made comments favorable toward the USA hosting a Summer Olympics soon. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's a whole lot more than than his predecessor, Jacques Rogge ever did.

Another promising sign is the return of Dick Pound, a Canadian IOC member, who was nearly elected president instead of Rogge. Pound removed himself from the Olympic scene for a while, but Bach brought him into his inner circle. Pound is very outspoken about how the USA must not only host its share of Olympics, but more than its share relative to population. His logic is that since the IOC gets most of its broadcast revenue from the USA (more than half of the worldwide revenue), it must host Olympics with greater frequency. If the Olympics are held where the time change is very different (Beijing, London), it's very easy for other networks to broadcast the Olympic results as news and undermine NBC's prime time coverage. But if the events were held in prime time, NBC's ratings would skyrocket, and so would the IOC's TV revenue. Pound is 100% correct.

So I think the USA will host Olympics soon. It's far from a sure thing, but all indications are promising.

The soonest possibility is the 2024 Summer Olympics. Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC, and Boston are in the mix. The US Olympic Committee can only advance one to be a possible finalist. The decision will be made in 2017.

Source(s): I'm an Olympics junkie.
    • call me Al
      5 years agoReport

Hey dave, I just noticed your account had been suspended. I can't imagine how that would have happened.

There is a big push by several cities to bid for the 2024, Games so each time we just have to wait and see.

No one expected Atlanta to be the host for the 1996 Games, and many thought Chicago would win in 2016. You never know how the committee will vote, but I am sure they will be in the U.S. again we just don't know when.

It's been twelve years since the US last hosted an Olympics, and we'll have to wait at least another decade before we can host again.

I honestly think Canada has a better shot at another one before the US does again.

Sure.