What's the easiest Actors Guild to join?

I'm living in Egypt and i may come to the U.S.A in 2015 to attend an acting program..But to be able to stay in U.S.A after the program is done i think that i should join an Actors Guild so what's the easiest guild to let me join them .. And what are their requirements?

2 Answers

  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You can't just join an Actor's Guild. To be eligible to join you have have a specific type of professional experience and it has to be in the US. To get that experience you have to be able to legally work in the US as an actor. To legally work as an actor you need the necessary work visa and other paperwork. You cannot work on a student visa or a visitor's visa. Being a member of an actor's guild is not going to allow you to stay in the US.

    Here's what the main screen actor's guild (SAG-AFTRA) has about the topic:

    What if I am not a U.S. Citizen or Resident Alien (holding a "green card")?

    The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), as directed by Congress, sets the visa requirements for alien performers who want to work in the United States. The INS allows performers who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents to audition on any visa, but in order to actually work on a film, television, or electronic media project like a video game, they must then get a very specific visa whether it is SAG signatory or not. Production companies, and sometimes talent agents and managers, apply for these visas on behalf of the performers. Due to the INS criteria and cost of transportation, living expenses, and legal fees, these visas are typically granted only to major-role principal players. You do not have to be a member of Screen Actors Guild to qualify for these visas. However, the criteria for the most common of these particular visas (the O-1) require that the performer has been recognized for his/her accomplishment of outstanding achievement (as closely defined by the INS) in a media similar to the one for which the visa is sought. Visas are issued by project, not by time period. Visas cannot be applied for until an employment offer is extended to the performer. O-1 visas are not available to performers who seem promising, but are not yet fully "proven". For further information about visas, you will need to seek out and make contact with an immigration attorney. We are not able to provide references.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    yeah, what Katrina E said.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.