Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 years ago

Can an atheist be excused for laughing when someone says, "We need to hear from God right now!"?

I pissed off my ex-wife recently. We were riding in the car together, and she was playing a Christian radio station. They were having a fundraiser for the station (I think it was one of those K-Love radio stations) and the dude talking, trying to get people to call in and pledge money said, "Okay. Right now we need to hear from God. I just know he's gonna tell someone listening to pledge ten dollars a month" or some kind of nonsense like that.

I laughed. It was funny!!!

My ex got mad and snapped off her radio.

Can I be excused for laughing? Or was I really rude?

How can I keep from laughing in the future when I hear something ridiculous like that from Christian radio?

-Occulty

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Hahaha! I would have called in and pledged 10 bucks a month and declared myself to be Gawd.

I excuse you. But you should try to be more sensitive. Especially with a woman you hurt so badly in the past.

Yeah....you really can't help it. It's like when they try to defend the talking snake.

I found that very funny. It might of been rude from her point of view but you could be excused as an Atheist I believe.

• Tiger

Is there anything like "Christian radio"? People crying out for money are rarely Christians. They are false teachers. 2 Peter 2

Destructive Doctrines

2 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.

• giles

You shouldn't even need an excuse. Do you need to be excused for laughing when a conspiracy theorist claims that the government is run by aliens who want to impregnate all humans with Xenomorph chestbursters and that Obama is a Freemason Martian?

• Legion

Sure...God's radio probably doesn't even get that station.

• The things that fundies say are ridiculous and so it's reasonable that rational people would laugh at them. It's too bad that your ex-wife can't comprehend what's so funny.

• Of course! I always titter when I hear relatives talk about church services they have attended that featured "flaming evangelists"; I always have to resist the urge to ask if they wore leather.