Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Faster internet no change in Steam download speed?

A few weeks ago i had some pretty **** internet, i was only getting like 5 mb/s down and 0.95 up. Now, i have new internet, 15.5 down and 2 up, however i'm only seeing a .5 increase in my Steam download speed. On my old internet i would average 1.5 mb/s Steam download on a normal day, and 1.8 mb/s Steam download on a good day.

Now, on my new "super deluxe fast internet" package, which has 15.5 down and 2 up ( I know that realistically i wouldn't get 15 down, but more like 3 or 4 down) but even with the new package ON Ethernet, i'm only averaging 2.0 mb/s. I have selected a download server literally 1 state away from me. It never goes above 2.0, it's as if it's locked at 2.0.

Any answers/ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

when internet server providers advertise speed they are advertising Megabits per second....when you are downloading something you are downloading it in MegaBytes per second. 1 MegaBit is roughly 1/4th of a MegaByte. Also, the amount of people accessing/downloading from steam at any specific time can vary greatly....so the more people downloading the slower your downloads will be and vice versa

• 7 years ago

Thanks for the answers guys! I feel better about my 2.0mb/s speed, i went and read on the Steam fourms that majority of people can barely pull 1.0-1.3.

• 7 years ago

Do you have Charter Cable Service their prices are pretty reasonable They have TV Internet and Phone you can get a bundle they always have promotions

• 7 years ago

Your bandwidth seems about right. If your connection is 15.5 Mbps then you should be maxing out at around 1.9 MB per second.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.