Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheatre & Acting · 6 years ago

Is 2 and a half hours too long a play?

As a hobby of mine I like adapting books into stage plays. Today I timed the most recent creation and in total it was 2 hours and 20 mins and I'm just thinking, if it were actually performed they'd have an interval so it would end up being more like 3hrs... Is this too long?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Peter Greenaway once produced a stage play that went for eight days, eight hours at a sitting. Apparently there was only about 20 people left in the audience by the end of the eight day. I don't know if any of them thought it was worthwhile

• Alice6 years agoReport

Hahahahahaha this made me laugh XD luckily mine isn't that long :P x

• Login to reply the answers
  • GSinG
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

If you're Shakespeare writing Hamlet or King Lear 2 and 1/2 hours is fine but not for most plays. Act 1 at about an hour or so and Act 2 less; maybe 45 minutes to an hour, seems what works well for modern audiences.

Source(s): Acted in , directed and stage managed a lot of plays
  • 6 years ago

I did a high-school play that was in closeness of three-hours. It's normal.

• 6 years ago

In my opinion, that is way way (way) too long. Our audiences have very quick minds with little regard to nuance. Long gone are the days when Theater was an evening or afternoon of entertainment.

The bigger question is: do you have something to say?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

You are right an interval would be essential. Although it must be possible to make it more concise.

• Alice6 years agoReport

I honestly don't think it is :( there is nothing I can cut out where the rest of the story still makes sense :L but thank you anyway! :) x

• 6 years ago

l dont really think so, theatre plays are always long usally about 3 hours, maybe longer. l wish you good luck with your play.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.