Is the confederate flag offensive if flown in other states?

I was visiting a relative in California very recently and something caught my eye that really made me a bit uncomfortable.

I was walking around with the said relative, with some friends, and what I happened to notice was there was a large beat up pick-up (with rust and all) and on the back had some gun racks and flew a large confederate flag. We knew that the confederate flag wasn't necessarily racist, in the sense that many flew it for Southern pride, but I was wondering, is it considered offensive if the flag was flown in other states that's not even part of the South? Especially if it's flown as big as described?

Note: I have nothing against freedom of speech; if the flag wasn't meant for sinister reasons, then I wouldn't have a problem, but if it really was used for hate speech, then it's something I definitely wouldn't condone at all. I would really appreciate it if the answers are kept civilized and were just to explain, not to throw insults at me for not understanding.

I would also like to point out, in the case I get some criticism, that some of my closest friends are from Mississippi and they fly the flag and are very much against hate, so I am used to seeing it flown by some people and am completely fine with it; I'm saying 'uncomfortable' in the sense it's really weird to see it in other states than the south, because it doesn't really look like they're even from the south (especially if that pick up truck has a "california" license plate in the rear).

Favorite Answer

First things first, a flag on is own cannot be offensive. There needs to be some idea of context for something to be offensive and we don't know what the reason is for the California guy to be flying his flag, so therefore no one should be offended.

I am English, live in England and wear the Confederate flag on my jacket. The reason I do this is because I am a rock 'n' roll fan and hot rodder. Rock 'n' roll was created as a fusion of the country and R&B genres, both of which were dominated by Southern musicians, and hence rock 'n' roll was developed predominantly in the South by predominantly Southern artists. That's one reason - a sort of Southern pride although I'm not actually from Dixie. Other than that, hot rod kulture has always had some rebellion in it and the Confederate flag is a way of saying 'we don't care what you think and if you don't like us: up yours'.

There are no racist undertones whatsoever and I know that many rock 'n' roll fans, myself included, like black rock 'n' roll, R&B and doo-wop artists.

I see it flown in Illinois sometimes and I never really think twice about it. I have a rebel flag bandana I wear when I exercise around the house, I certainly don't mean any offense by it. My ancestors fought and died for both the Army of the Potomac and the Army of Northern Virginia. I just wear it as an interesting historic symbol and a way to remember one of the most important events in American history. Plus it looks cool and keeps the sweat off my face. That being said, I might be a little uncomfortable wearing it out in public.

As long as you don't confront the flag owner, negative interpretations remain forgotten.

Nazi flags, however, get my lighter, if I can be sneaky enough.

I wear the shirt everyday in the hood. Let them all know how things use to be and still should be.