Would this be considered as an allusion?

I have to read the abridged version of "Les Miserables by Victor Hugo" and I've found a lot of figurative language but I've come across a particular phrase and I think it's an allusion but not entirely sure. Here it is: "The man raised his cap humbly and... show more I have to read the abridged version of "Les Miserables by Victor Hugo" and I've found a lot of figurative

language but I've come across a particular phrase and I think it's an allusion but not entirely sure.

Here it is:

"The man raised his cap humbly and saluted a gendarme who was seated near the door, upon he stone bench which General Drouot mounted on the fourth of March, to read the terrified inhabitants of D--- the proclamation of Golfe Juan."

Please help me. I just need to know whether or not it's an allusion and if so? What is it alluding?
THANKS! (10 points for first best answer) XD
1 answer 1