What do I put for W-4 line C if I am single?

It says specifically to put "1" for my spouse, or "0" for a working spouse or more than one job.

But I am single, and there is no option for unmarried there...?

Is it okay to leave it blank, or do I put "0"? Or will they think I am claiming to be married when I am not?


OOPS! I meant W-4 personal allowances!

8 Answers

  • M
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

    If you only have 1 job and no spouse the same as I said when you asked earlier & I also edited by answer again to reflect this - I had no idea if you were married or if you had 2 jobs & I tried to answer all scenarios.

    2 allowances

    "**IF** - Only one job & not married & no dependents - claim 2 allowances - Line A & B of the worksheet & enter on Line 5 of your w-4."

    You don't give the worksheet to your employer - only the w-2 so it does not matter if you leave the line blank or put zero. It's a work sheet for YOUR use ONLY.

    Or claim zero & your employer will w/h the maximum for fed & state income tax.

    Claim 1 - it's in the middle

    Good Luck

  • ?
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

    Simple and easy fill out the W-4 form as Single and claim -0- ZER0 Allowance sign the completed W-4 and return to your employer for their use during the 2014 tax filing season ONLY for the purpose of the FIT withholding amounts out of your Gross wages for each pay period.

    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 07/16/2014

  • 6 years ago

    Single 1 is what you put on the part you turn in if you are 1 single person.

    If this is a low paying job, and or you have not worked much this year, you can easily get by saying S-2 and still have enough taxes taken out to cover your 2014 liability. {Do NOT go with S-0. That just gives the government a free loan of your money.}

    If you had children, you would probably claim 2 deductions for each child.

    Source(s): accountant - with payroll experience, too.
  • 6 years ago

    0 zero. And don't forget Head Of Head of household. Generally, you can claim head of household filing status on your tax return only if you are unmarried and pay more than 50% of the costs of keeping up a home for yourself and your dependent(s) or other qualifying individuals. See Pub. 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

    You only give the bottom portion of the Form W-4 to your employer. Nobody sees what you write on the worksheet lines that you "keep for your records." So you can either put "0" or leave the line blank.

  • tro
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

    if you are single, you claim one allowance for being single, you claim one allowance because you are the one you support, that is single 2, not 0!

    if you claim 0 they will take the maximum they are allowed to on your gross pay

  • Anonymous
    6 years ago


  • Judy
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

    line c - zeo of leave it blank, doesn't matter.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.