Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 6 years ago

What was Lincoln's justification for risking conflict when he sent the Sumter expedition? Are some things worth the risk of war?

What was Lincoln's justification for risking conflict when he sent the Sumter expedition? Are some things worth the risk of war? If so, do you think holding Fort Sumter should be considered one of them

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Fort Sumter was a U.S. Army installation and U.S. government property and the troops stationed there were running out of the daily provisions they needed to live. As President and Commander-in-Chief it's his duty to see that U.S. troops are supplied... no matter where they are stationed in the world.

So Lincoln officially informed the Governor of South Carolina that he was sending provisions only to the troops at Fort Sumter and specifically told him that no soldiers, weapons, or ammunition would be sent.

But it didn't matter that Lincoln informed the Governor of South Carolina that he wasn't sending any war supplies because the Confederates decided to attack before the supply ships arrived anyway.

So the Confederates started the bombardment of Fort Sumter, and started the Civil War, before the ships carrying provisions even arrived.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

To preserve his political career and political reputation - which he was prepared to do at any cost.

Had Lincoln let the seceding states go without doing anything,he would have been a lame duck President from day1,and thus had no chance of achieving anything,let alone being re-elected 9or even renominated by his party) 4 years later.Additionally,he would have gone down in the history books as the President who let the US break apart.

Lincoln thought far too much of himself to allow any of this to happen - which is why he was willing to risk,then start,and then do whatever was necessary to win,a civil war against the seceding states.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

No only a Racist Bigot with an ego problem would have Gone to war an i for one was so pleased he never lived to enjoy it booth is my hero and i am a black man

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.