MARVEL COMICS: Thor is now a woman! Announcement true?

Comic book aficionados,

The following was garnered by a Yahoo! Entertainment article. I am not an expert comic follower, only casual, hence the two questions below:

Q 1. Is Thor now a woman permanently, in the Marvel comics world? Did Thor the male gender-version died?

~ from Thors home world?

Q 2. Relatedly, will we be seeing an actress replacing 30 year old Chris Hemsworth in any future Thor or Avengers (Hollywood) sequels?

note: the Y! article did say that she modeled herself after Thor the man, saved her life.

source: fan of Thor & curiosity

Favorite Answer

1) The announcement very specifically stated that the Son of Odin loses the power because Mjollnir deems him unworthy (though exactly why this happens wasn't explained), and that a woman was the next to pick it up. So Thor is still there, but since all of his godlike power comes from wielding Mjollnir, he's now basically just a guy. Also, this doesn't really happen until the comic releases in October. Who this woman is wasn't revealed; they didn't even specify if it was a new character or an established one.

2) Not likely, at least until after Avengers 3. If it proves successful and they decide to run with it, it could serve as an out for contract negotiations with Chris, though. I don't see it being a long-term thing. They were very adamant about this not being "Thorina", but I don't see comics fans really taking to this dramatic of a change to a character. I could see her becoming a spin-off character, making this become a similar story to how Jim Rhodes was forced to don the Iron Man armor for a while and then became War Machine. But I think they will have to write their way back before too long just because the sales of Thor will drop.

1) Thor Odinson will still be around. However, the announcement says that Odinson will no longer be worthy to wield the hammer Mjolnir. A female character, still unnamed, will be worthy of Mjolnir and will be granted the powers of Thor.

2) Unlikely. If anything, the new Thor will likely step down before May 2014 (aka the release of Avengers: Age of Ultron) and Thor Odinson will have Mjolnir in his possession again. The female character will likely stick around as part of the Thor comic.

No, Thor just became unworthy of his hammer and the woman using his hammer is his half sister.

1) she's probably just filling in. no, "Donald Blake" isn't dead.

1a) she's almost certainly Asgardian. my money's on Valkyrie.

2) no.