What can I do as a student to change the school's dress code policy?

i want to change something in my school's dress code policy. i do not want uniforms in my school and i have some pretty good arguments against it. one of them being against the first amendment in the american constitution

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Laura
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

There is no way to get it removed solely based on the first amendment. That has failed many times. Come up with at least 3 unique ideas on how to lessen the dress code. From a school's perspective, they will not ever give up school uniforms, so trying to get it to happen is just silly. having a student come up and respectfully present a suggestion to slightly alter the dress code for multiple solid reasons could get something done. Contact your principal or dean and kindly say that you would like to present a suggestion for the dress code, either in a speech or a written report.

• 7 years ago

The most of amendments do not apply in the school system, so that wouldn't work. However, most school boards offer a group that discusses issues and makes decisions about the school. Parents are often aloud to join these groups, which could help with persuading, but I'm not sure how you would go about getting in the group. I'm assuming you're in middle school or a private school if you have dress code, but eventually you'll move up and not be in the horrendous outfit anymore.

• 7 years ago

There are two ways to look at this. One way is to support your enthusiasm for promoting change by working within the system. This is both right and smart. Nobody wants to rain on that kind of parade. Change won't happen unless people ask for it. What you are going to need, eventually, is a series of petitions submitted to the authorities at your school and, ultimately, the school board. You'll need to collect a lot of signatures, and not just those of students. You will need the support of the parents in the district and members of the teaching staff at your school as well, and not just one or two signatures, but enough so that it is clear that there's a serious amount of support for your position. You'll also need more than the "first amendment" argument. School districts are run by administrations, school boards, and state governing agencies, and all of those levels of control have the right to impose rules and restrictions on student behavior. The challenge you are taking on is tremendously difficult. The second option, and I think the wiser one, is to deal with the school rules for the length of time you are a student there. You will soon be in college, and you will be able to wear whatever you want. You also have many hours during the week, the entire weekend, and every school vacation during which you can wear whatever you want. Your desire to improve the situation is commendable, but you will be putting in a lot of work, and you probably will not win out. The smart thing to do is knuckle under, follow the rules, and put your energy and talent toward more profitable ventures.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.