Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 6 years ago

are east asians accepted in the uk?

I've noticed that asians usually receive alot of racism and is discriminated against. African americans are considered american, mexican americans are considered american, what about asians? Do you think they fit into the society of uk e.g. in Birmingham

Favorite Answer

I think it depends on the area and the situation there.

For example, if you can find a pretty big community of people from the same area of you you're less likely to get discriminated against.

Also, as I'm sure you know, the typical statement you'll probably hear will always link back to "these foreigners are takin' our jobs!" or are otherwise some kind of embedded personal racism or prejudice. In any case, and I don't mean to generalise, if you go to a place that is not in too much of an economic struggle then you are probably less likely to get discriminated against, usually because these areas have low employment rate, which leads right back to "takin' our jobs!!" argument.

Rural areas are also, and I'm sorry for generalising, a big no-no. Usually these small little villages aren't too multi-ethnic or multi-cultured since most immigrants will move to the bigger cities and areas since there is presumably more work there and more communities and possibly support for new arrivals. Therefore, since there is more of a divide, expect some prejudice. I would stick to the suburbs or cities if you fear intolerance against yourself will occur.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't say the UK is the most racist country out there as a whole. I myself live quite close to London in a suburb a county away. It's a pretty rich area, and lining the streets there are Chinese restaurants, Japanese restaurants, Thai restaurants, Korean restaurants, Indian ones, I think Pakistani and I think there is actually a restaurant from Bhutan. I don't mean to say this makes the area automatically not racist or anything, it's just that the society is quite integrated here despite the fact that the majority are white, but it isn't uncommon to see someone who isn't white shopping or walking around - anything I'm sure you could happily find yourself doing, too. I think a lot of that is because many of the people in this area are actually white Europeans from outside the UK, and, just like everyone here, I'm sure you can find a place to call home and find some comfort in it.

(And even though it isn't very relevant, I'm sure you'll perhaps find comfort in the foreign imports/world food section available in most stores if that's what you're used to! Good luck. =) )

• Maxi

African americans are considered American, mexican americans are considered American, simply because that is what they are " what about asians?" They are Asians. As for 'fitting into Uk society? Well maybe you should ask the thousands that are already living in the UK and have been for centuries

Certainly more accepted than foreigners in East Asian countries.

I think you will find that we are tolerant of immigrants that come here to work. What we despise is those that drift around our streets on benefits.