Why are bicycle seats triangular/saddle shaped, and why are so many of them made uncomfortable?

In my many years of bicycling, I have noticed a lot of things about bicycle seats. However, one same thing is that all bicycle seats are triangular/saddle shaped; basically it starts as a pointed front end that gradually flares out slightly towards the aft end in a sort of triangular or "delta" shape,... show more In my many years of bicycling, I have noticed a lot of things about bicycle seats. However, one same thing is that all bicycle seats are triangular/saddle shaped; basically it starts as a pointed front end that gradually flares out slightly towards the aft end in a sort of triangular or "delta" shape, similar to the shape of a supersonic aircraft. Also, one of my first bicycles I rode as a teenager/young adult had a rather narrow seat, about maybe 4 inches wide at the aft flare, which was very uncomfortable and even left my rear hurting after only about a 5 mile ride. And at the same time, seats I have seen on other bicycles had even narrower (about 3 to 3 and a half inches wide and even highly arched through the width all the way down it's length) seats. I also remember reading a couple or so magazine articles before that mentioned other people saying that those bicycle seats were uncomfortable. And every time I myself got a new bicycle, I always had to remove it's original seat and put a wider seat on it because those narrow seats were uncomfortable.