Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 6 years ago

Quote for someone with Acute Myeloid Leukemia?

One of my sorority sisters was recently diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia and just started her first day of her two month long hospital stay today. I'm looking for a quote I could paint onto a canvas to cheer her up while she's there. Any ideas?

I do not need anyone telling me it's a stupid idea. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to be rude. If you don't like it, don't answer.

• Lark
    Favorite Answer

This is a quote that was meaningful to me when I was in active treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma:

“You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do.”

~ Eleanor Roosevelt

I actually painted it onto a canvas and hung it in my room because it was so meaningful to me.

I would consider your friend's personality, passions, interests, favorite colors, and the like and try to find a quote that is more suited to who she is a person rather than one that is a rah-rah "be strong" sort of platitude about fighting cancer. You could also look for quotes relating to your sorority, like if you're a DG you could search for a quote involving an anchor metaphor. Goodreads is a good source of quotes. I'd also look on Pinterest.

I understand the perspective of those who think a quote on a canvas will be trivial clutter, but in this case I think it's a lovely gesture. More than the quote itself, it's the time and love you're putting into making something by hand just for her. One of my sorority sisters had brain cancer last year, and many of us made gifts or looked for thoughtful ones for her. It was a way of filling up her room with tokens of love and things that made her smile.

Best wishes to your sorority sister. : )

I agree that the bigger the sign...the clearer the message. Two wks. After my 20th birthday (1990),I spent 188 days in a hospital bed fighting with everything I had to beat leukemia, and I won! But it wasn't without the love and support from everyone I knew and everyone they knew and etc . If I was blessed enough to receive cards or letters in the mail, damn straight it didn't matter what the words said inside, i had something else to focus on. Even if it merely said, "you're in our prayers, get well", I was able to stop thinking about getting sicker and believe it was possible for me to get better! Maybe for just a moment, my positive thoughts could help me from dwelling in sorrow because the doctors had only gave me a 5 percent chance and I was waiting at the end of the line looking for what hadnt been found yet. God doesn't hand out miracles to everyone, but He does still hands them out! Your friend is blessed to have you. My prayers will be with you both... Take care and God Bless!

Some words on canvas isn't going to cheer her up. If you want to keep her mind off things, get her a box set of dvds.

The last thing a cancer patient needs is more stuff to cart around. How about an embroidered handkerchief.