Haley asked in PetsCats · 6 years ago

Nutrition for Kittens?

I'm adopting a new kitten soon, around 12-14 weeks old, and I'm not sure what the best food brands are? Most people recommend wet food because dry food doesn't have great nutritional needs (so I hear) but I want to know if this is true? If it is, what are great wet food brands that are cheap and what stores sell them? What are good dry food brands? How many times a day should I feed my kitten and what amount should I give them each time?

If you can, please answer all of these questions, I'd appreciate it, thank you!

• Ocimom
    Favorite Answer

Not that dry doesn't have good ingredients, but the problem in feeding dry and too much dry is UTI problems and early liver/kidney problems.

High quality canned and dry can be given - just be sure you are feeding more canned food then any kind of dry.

Best brands are not found in the grocery stores - you buy from Petsmart or Petco. Stick to brands that start with REAL meat - not byproducts or meat meal and no corn or very little grains.

Brands we feed are not cheap but your kitten will be a lot healthier. Merrick, Natural Balance, Wellness, Spot's Stew, Max Cat or Authority (Petsmart's brand). Avoid fish based foods too.

Kittens under 6 months should be fed 3 x a day; after 6 months they can have 2 x a day (morning & evenings) and change over to adult foods.

Be sure your kitten is spayed/neutered by 3-4 months old too.

• J C

Nature created cats to eat meat, not dry carbohydrate filled kibbles. An all dry diet is now linked to such feline disorders as obesity, diabetes, constipation, urinary tract disorders, and kidney disease. At least one meal a day should be canned, if not all of them. Dry food if fed should be for snacking only and a very limited amount (no more than 1/8 to 1/4 cup). Kittens need canned three times a day. Quality canned foods contain no by-products nor other cheap fillers (corn, wheat, soy). Consider a quality food as an investment in future health. The best foods are the grain free ones like Wellness, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, and Natural Balance, for example. If those are too pricey consider Petsmart's Authority brand, or any of the Nutro or Max Cat foods. Still decent food but lower in cost. You can find these at any Petsmart or Petco (not the Authority that's Petsmart only).

Follow the feeding directions on the can for your kittens weight, splitting it into three meals. Breakfast, dinner, before bed.

Source(s): Many years of cat rescue (and feeding a mostly canned premium diet)

I agree with Ocimom for the most part, but you should not avoid meat meal! Any by-product meal, yes, but meat meal is simply real meat without the extra water. It is very nutrient-dense and good for your kitty.

If you're on a budget, don't get the cheap stuff. The best way to save money is to buy the bigger (13 oz) cans! You can get great food for cheaper or just as cheap as grocery store brands by buying in bulk. (One 13 oz can of Innova(GOOD) is cheaper than Four 3 oz cans (12 oz) of Fancy Feast(BAD). Some stores will ever give you an extra discount if you buy a case at a time. A great, inexpensive brand that you will find at Petsmart is Innova Cat & Kitten. I buy it at a locally-owned pet supply store for even cheaper. It is not grain-free but it's a great food with great ingredients. I use it in a rotation with other foods like Wellness kitten (grain-free), Blue Wilderness Kitten (grain-free), Evo 95% (grain-free), and Canidae (some grain-free). Get a good, grain-free dry food to leave out during the day for a snack, but their main diet should be wet. I get Wellness Kitten. Their dry CORE line is grain-free and their regular dry kitten line is not. Personally, I feed great grain-food wet food every day, so I save by getting the regular dry kitten food because they just eat a few bites for a snack. It is still very healthy and they've done great on it.

• Warren

We just found a new high quality canned food that is the FIRST canned food other than Fancy Feast that our older very picky Ocicat Saphira (my avatar) will eat. It is called Soulistic and is available only at Petco, but it is actually made by Weruva, a brand which is available from other stores. It is made in a facility that also produces human food, and from human quality ingredients. I do not believe that they make a kitten formula, but keep it in mind when kitty is a bit older. Oh, and having water in the top three ingredients is not necessarily a problem, you want something like 78-80% moisture in the final product, and depending on the ingredients they may have to add some water to reach that.

• Mircat

Start reading the ingredients on the labels and become more educated. They are listed in the order they appear in the product. Item one is in the product the most down to the last item which is in the product the least. The first four items should NOT include: water, grains, or by-products.

The kitten should be on kitten food NOT cat food. Cat food doesn't have enough vitamins, minerals, calories or protein for a kitten's growing body.

NO milk, ever, a lot of cats are lactose intolerant and it can cause upset stomachs and diarrhea. Fresh water daily.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/ss/slideshow-foods-your...

I agree with the grain free food. Just to mention-although these brands seem more expensive than lesser quality foods you actually feed them less since they don't have the fillers like corn, etc in them so it balances out. Also, over the life of the cat you will probably have less vet bills with the better food.

Cats are classified as OBLIGATE CARNIVORES.They need to be fed a grain free canned cat food.Good brands include:Grain free Wellness,Merrick or any of the grain free/fish free pate versions of Sheba or Fancy Feast.When you have time please check out a great online site called "Catinfo.org" it's a site that teaches people about proper cat nutrition.Always remember that any canned cat food is better than any carbohydrate rich dry cat food.

Tuna, wet food, or just really soft foods btw tell the kitty I said hi.

• Ocimom
      6 years agoReport

NEVER feed tuna to a kitten or a cat - lack of taurine will cause problems and its too addictive.

• feed your cat formula but noooooooooooo milk it can get diarrhoea and die

also make sure you wash your cat but stop washing your cat when it starts cleaning itself

and when you "pottietrain" your cat you take its paw and dig then make "poo" then make it bury thats how i got my cat to get "pottietrained"