What affects the speed of connection to the wireless router itself?

The number I am referring to is what you see when you (on Win7) right click on the network you're connected to & go to "status" --> the speed number, the speed you're able to communicate with the wireless router.

I do what I can to get a good signal (ideal channel (after scouting with inSSIDer), broadcast only N, etc), and I have observations that could explain (involving others being connected, or being worse on weekends when nearby people are actively sending data across nearby networks) - but nothing straight up documented (and I prefer facts/numbers to just observations like that).

Now the thing is, this isn't a consistent lower-than-advertised signal (what people usually ask about online), it's a once-&-a-while fluctuation (ie: I don't think it's something inherently wrong with the router). We have a well-regarded router for the price-range we were looking at - a Linksys e1200 (300N router), so I don't think it's a "defect". The actual max speed I've seen is 144mpbs - but perfectly okay, since we just use it for internet (not streaming between devices, etc). SOMETIMES (most days it's fine) I notice the number drops to ~100, sometimes ~50-80 range, and sometimes even ~30, ~15, or lower. It will fluctuate though, & this is the rub -- ie: I hadn't changed a setting, or changed my distance (signal strength is constant, via inSSIDer, -60 to -50 at furthest) & it will jump around, sometimes perfect & others dismal.

What other variables could be affecting this?

Note: One a day when I have "trouble" with it, it's usually for most of that day. (This is where the "gut instinct/guess but I haven't actually logged it" stuff comes in - as it's happening now, a weekend (where all of family is home), but I can't be sure it always coincides with that).

And the drop is also inconsistent (sometimes "medium" most of the day, but a time or 2 it was near that below-15 level).

passmark perfomance test 8.0 is free for 30 days. It has an advanced network test. It is server and client so needs two pc's.

Have one PC wired and one wireless. Set the wireless client as server (it's back to front but this means it will download rather than upload).

The max speed you see is unlikely to happen. Having just tested some enterprise 802.11n APs the maximum throughput (at 1 metre) was 85mbps. This is with an (advertised) 300mbps USB dongle.

You say wireless-n, but don't mention if 2.4GHz or 5GHz. If 2.4 then many things could be interfering. Inssider only sees 802.11 signals, but the 2.4GHz band can be used for many other things (including microwave ovens, wireless keyboards etc etc)

As the 5GHz space is licenced, you should not have the same issues with interference.

With regards to the max speed changing, this is to do with the QAM levels changing, normally due to interference or SNR dropping. Again, i'd expect these issues far more in the 2.4GHz band than the 5GHz band.

• Nunya

First off, make sure it isn't your internet service being slow. Check by using an ethernet cable on a good day and a bad day and compare.

Secondly, whenever its acting up and giving less speed, check inSSIDer again and look at the overall wireless traffic. It could just be some days the people around you are using wifi alot and interfering with the connection.