Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 6 years ago

Do I seem mentally stable?

I'm a 15 year old male, who is scared I'm going crazy. Last year my friends mom died and I was really close to her and about a week after I started feeling sad and depressed. I noticed that I started to feel more anxious and nervous. I developed symptoms of derealization and depersonalization. I had these symptoms all summer, and they we're off and on throughout the school year. I was much less anxious and nervous during the school year, but I have a bad day where I had a mild panic attack and once a week. Things got much better and I was feeling pretty normal and stable. When summer started again though, I became scared of the idea that I would slip into depression and my anxiety symptoms, but I think it was more of a general worry and I was scared, an that made me feel the symptoms. I don't feel the symptoms, and I can realize that but I worry a lot and talk my self into me being crazy. Lately I've been scared of my symptoms, and just thinking in not normal. I can always calm my self down when I get worked up though. I've been having strange dreams to and those scare me and I feel like I'm losing it and touch with reality. Is this just anxiety and me just being overly nervous. And anxiety runs in my family, and my mom is a very nervous person, and I can relate to her a lot on these symptoms of general worry.

Favorite Answer

Lots of mentally stable people can slip into a depression and derealization when a traumatic event effects their life, such as a loved one. There's also a lot of mentally stable people, especially teens, who are naturally prone to sadness and anxiety. I have anxiety problems but I know I'm mentally stable. People with psychosis disorders like Schizophrenia, for example, are not mentally stable. From reading your description there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary of what you're going through, especially at your age, so I wouldn't worry. The only thing I'd say you have is anxiety, which if gets severe can be treated with antidepressants (Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac, etc.) and fast-acting benzodiazepines (Xanax, Klonopin, etc.)

Source(s): College student studying psychology & pharmacology

A brother who shares derealization. First off you are fine. Anxiety and insanity are different things. Trust me I have the same worries some times. I have suffered from constant derealization, depression and social anxiety for about 3 yrs now (social anxiety much longer). Sh*t stuff. My advice, see a good psychologist/therapist and tell him/her how you feel. They know their stuff and can give you some medication (if you are fine with that) or can also help you through talking.

My derealization actually sort of killed a lot of my emotions so I do not worry much anymore (or feel anything). If you feel it often get it sorted out ASAP, its a horrible disorder.