Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 6 years ago

Is it in the best interest of the US to see a divided Iraq - the Kurds are announcing their ambitions for independence?

President Barzani of the Kurdish Regional Govenrment announced that he was going to initiate a referendum for independence. This comes just after the Kurds seized Kirkuk, an oil rich field. The Kurds do not want a war with Baghdad, though they need a revenue stream. In order to manage the country, they need $1 billion per month. They've already begun the process of exporting their oil to Turkey through pipeline projects.

Kurdish officials are telling the US that the idea of a united Iraq is not realistic. They want their own country and become financially independent from Iraq. They have not commited their pesh merga troops to help al Maliki fight off ISIS in Mosul and other towns and villages.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Kurds have always wanted independence. The problem with Kurdish independence is that Kurdistan spans parts of Iraq, Turkey and Iran. The Kurds will want all of it, while Turkey and Iran will fight to keep their own territory. The Turks are already in a de facto war with their own Kurds.

The problem with a Shia-dominated "state" in Eastern Iraq is that it will be a puppet of Iran, which wants us dead. An ISIS state in Western Iraq and Eastern Syria also will want us dead. Anyone who thinks that these problems will remain restricted to the Middle East needs to do more reading.

Erich, I hardly know where to start. I hope the Kurds don't hire you as a mercenary. With your muddled thinking you're not going to do them much good. They might give you a big fat fee to stay away.

Kurds refused to become Arabs for the same reason grasshoppers refused to become ants, despite the many advantages.

Israel is the sole genuine democracy in the region and is pro-U.S. I hope we will support them. The concept of evangelical democracy was developed by Thomas Jefferson. Many Democrats attend the annual Jefferson-Jackson Day celebrations. Do you?

Developing alternative energy sources in the U.S. is a wonderful thought. We could have far more wind energy, but most of the wind is very distant from where the energy is used. Huge transmission infrastructure needs to be built, at a serious cost in both dollars and environmental damage. There are two places where large amounts of wind energy could be generated: off the coasts of Massachusetts and California. The wealthy land owners in both states refuse to allow it. Damn those Republicans who control both states!

Ethanol is a possibility. Two problems:

1. It takes nearly a gallon of oil to produce a gallon of ethanol from corn. The gallon of ethanol contains far less energy than the oil used to produce it. Ethanol from corn is a net loser of energy,.

2. When we artificially created a market for ethanol from corn, global corn prices skyrocketed. Since corn is primarily an animal food, the price of meat went up as well. In the Middle East it is used both as animal feed and to make flour. Rising food prices led to the first demonstration in Egypt, which spread to the better-known demonstration in Tunisia. From those we got the Arab Spring, with its wonderful results for us:

- Libya disintegrated with a resurgent al Qaeda running large parts of the country. Too bad about that Youtube video that caused all the problems.

- Muslim Brotherhood (Death to the US! Death to Israel!) took over Egypt, was overthrown by the military. Coptic Christians have been decimated. But, hey, one of them produced the "heinous Youtube video."

- The uprising in Syria was joined by al Qaeda offshoots, it developed into ISIS, which we have today trying to tear apart Iraq.

- Watching President Obama's "vigorous" response to these threats to U.S. interests, and Iran's unimpeded development of nuclear weapons, Saudi Arabia is pursuing nuclear weapons. That will help stabilize the world. Perhaps Obama can get a second Peace Prize.

Photovoltaic electricity production is economically feasible only when heavily subsidized. Batteries to power cars still need to be charged, mostly with electricity from coal. Hydroelectric power is already maxed out in this country unless we do what other countries have done: submerge vast parts of the U.S. by creating huge dams to generate it. We could submerge all of Northern Kentucky and Southern Ohio, along with about a third of West Virginia, and get a dandy hydroelectric plant.

Energy production is an enormous complex system. Green Energy was found in Spain (held up by Barack Somebody-or-other as a shining example) to cost 2.5 non-green jobs for every green job it created.

• Kini
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Since the US controls the country it is not in its interest to see Kurds have independence even if it is pro-american. Then Iraq will lose control of all that oil, thats the problem. And Turkey does not want Kurdistan independence as they consider many of them terrorists. During the 13 year bombing campaign against Saddam under Clinton, Kurds were left alone in a no fly zone, so they are friendly to U.S. and have a good economy.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

I don't give a flying rotten fig about the so-called best interests of the US in the Middle East.

There are two things that determine US foreign policy in the Mideast: Oil and AIPAC.

With the demise of Bushian conservatism, the evangelicals can yell all they want, but they no longer exert influence on policy circles.

America's inane refusal to vigorously cultivate domestic alternative energy sources and subsidize them federally, has kept the US tied to the Mideast, where it logically doesn't belong.

The US has appointed itself guardian of Israel, mostly because of guilt over inaction before and during WWII to spare Jews from the genocide. At this point, the State of Israel is doing to the Palestinians much of what Germany did to the Jews.

It's time for the US to leave for the foreseeable future. Trade evenhandedly with all parties and stay out of politics, or else just stay out.

If the Kurds want independence, fine. Let them fight for it and I will give them moral support. If they want to hire me as a mercenary, maybe I will go, but I need a big fat fee.

The Kurds were supposed to have an independent state a long time ago, but geopolitical considerations of the Western powers dismissed it in the end. Turkey, Iran and the Arab states don't want the Kurds to have independence, because of the large Kurdish areas in Iran, Turkey, and Syria, besides Iraq, and among the Arabs, there is a longstanding dislike of the Kurds because the Kurds refused to "become Arabs."

• 6 years ago

No America needs a unified Iraq with a pro western government, not q divided Iraq in the hands of fundamentalists. It needs the world's 3rd largest oil producer (the crucial fact) on ITS' terms.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • like i said earlier today to in the military section.

independent kurdish state has no support, as that would destabilise wider region, Iran and more importantly Turkey. destabilising Turkey as an independent country would / could trigger NATO article 5 response.

in net effect, it would mean NATO aircraft bombing the living heck out of the kurdish people's oil field liberation army before they could crank up their magic carpets.

allow me to provide comparison. remember UCK? that 'was a bunch of allahuakbar looters that set one balkan province alight. they were fortunate to start their violent takeove before the 9/11 so it ended up in a steel rain upon Belgrade coming from f-117 and others.

now, Kurds long had similar terrorist organisation, PPK. recognised terrorist organisation, blowing places up across Turkey. Where UCK once was, today you can see a mafia quazistate ran by a recognised war criminal engaged in human organs trade (aka, Kosovo). what do you expect to arise from Kurdistan?

• 6 years ago

Personally, I would have liked to see the Kurds given their own independent state in the beginning.

However, Turkey is an ally of ours, and I'm sure they objected to such an idea.

There are a lot of Kurds in Turkey.

• 6 years ago

it would be in the best in interest of Iraq not to let their internal madness spill out into the rest of the world. Then the US and the West at large would have no interest in what goes on inside Iraq

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

as a kurd ... is support what president barzani said about separation

iraqi arabs are killing each other(shiite & sunnies)

the only part of iraq which remains safe & powerful is kurdistan

if america doesn't help in iraq

so their administration shall keep their mouth shut & don't stick their heads in our business with maliki & his funny army

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Just like Little Miss Muffet, the Kurds are in the way

• 6 years ago

We are masters at creating division and strife.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.