? asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 6 years ago

Are east asian actors not good looking enough in American movies?

I thought this article about the lack of asian actors in asian stories was interesting -

http://jezebel.com/5992922/why-arent-asian-actors-...

I think after Brandon Lee's death, the excitement for asian actors and martial art films seemed to have declined. Jackie Chan sort of made things exciting in the Rush Hour films (although he said he is not a fan of any those films). I sometimes wonder what would've happened if Brandon had lived...same with his dad Bruce. Would they have influenced the American movie industry to cast more asian actors in asian stories and even in some non asian stories? We have a mixed raced president, the demographics is slowly changing in the U.S. I don't see that at all happening in American movies. TV programs are a little better...if anyone bothers watching those programs.

I wouldn't waste your money on the upcoming live action of TMNT movie produced by Bay. There's been so many movies about it already. I don't know why Hollywood keeps bothering with it. Besides...I find the majority of Michael Bay's films very generic and too cliched.

@Brian

If you notice, martial art films seem to be the only genre that makes asian guys as heroes...that's not a bad thing, even though it's a stereotype, at least it's more positive. The negative stereotypes would be Ken Jeong characters, Robe Schneider films, Han from "2 Broke Girls" TV show, William Hung etc etc...surprisingly youtube viewers seem to fancy PSY with Gangnam style. Although, I'm not trying to bash PSY, but stereotypical comedies seemed to be the norm for asian men.

Favorite Answer

Yeah we need more Asians, Latin Americans etc. shown on mainstream tv as normal characters. They always use a token black character if they want to fill in a minority.

I read that Takeshi Kaneshiro was rejected from a Hollywood film for being too handsome? white male dominated Hollywood is personally invested in making Asian guys look undesirable. But hopefully things are changing? Lee Byung-hun's been in several American films although he played cartoonish characters.

I would like to see more Asian characters portrayed as normal people. I'm not really bothered about the *number* of Asian roles. there are very few Asians in America, it's understandable they don't have many Asians in the media. What I'm concerned about is the *quality* of representation.

• "I wouldn't waste your money on the upcoming live action of TMNT movie produced by Bay. There's been so many movies about it already. I don't know why Hollywood keeps bothering with it. Besides...I find the majority of Michael Bay's films very generic and too cliched."

Yeah... I like the idea of seeing more of them and the animated/live action style is cool, but I'd rather it was in the hands of different people making different choices...

I prob will be seeing it in theater after all, but because I got a free ticket from the Crush soda promo. It was either that or I wait for it on tv... So I'm find with not having to give my money to Bay and company.

• Brian

In the United Kingdom there is a real lack of East and Southeast Asian actors on TV, it seems as if there is the same issue in the United states. However, do we really need more kung Fu movies? While Bruce Lee's intention was to take away negative stereotypes about Asians, kung Fu in itself has became a stereotype. What I would like to see is more East and Southeast Asians playing regular parts in soap operas and movies which don't revolve around their Asian-ness. I don't think Brandon Lees Asian influence could ever have been as strong as his fathers because as a Eurasian who looked more European than Asian, people probably did not identify him as Asian even though he was part Asian.

You can view it free on http://tiny.cc/moviemax in HI-DEF quality.