Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 6 years ago

What is the communication like between blood banks?

I tried to donate blood, but I was deferred for permanent makeup, which qualified as a tattoo despite the fact that the regulations are very different and it was done by a medical professional. However, they said if it had been done at a medical office, it would have been acceptable. It turns out, the place IS legally a medical office, but the blood bank will not budge on the deferral.

So I want to know, if I go to a different, unaffiliated blood bank, will the deferral stand? How much communication is there between blood banks? I've heard that you can donate across state borders and they don't communicate there, but I'm not quite *that* desperate to donate.

Favorite Answer

FDA regulations require all blood collection facilities to impose a one year deferral from the time of tattoo application IF the state where the tattoo was applied does not inspect and license such facilities and/or sterile technique was not used. If your permanent makeup (eyeliner?) was applied by an M.D. in the physician's office, you would be eligible per FDA guidelines. However, the FDA does allow each blood center to be more restrictive concerning donor eligibility.

Contact the Medical Director of the blood center and ask to review your case. If you are unsuccessful in your reinstatement attempts, you may wish to contact another blood collection facility is in your region. While donor information cannot be shared between different blood centers, it is important that you are open and honest with your answers if you attempt a donation at another center.

Source(s): Medical Director - regional blood center