Anonymous

I don't know what to major in (college)?

Community college to be more precise. I'm a returning student and I am CLUELESS as to what to major in. My college offers many useless degrees such as sociology and others like it. I want to help people because that's my nature, I want to make GOOD money (be able to live comfortably by my self), and I don't want a desk job. What should I do? Also I should say that my college's counselors don't know jackshit about anything. They aren't logical.

Favorite Answer

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/majors-careers - Research through and take as much time as you need. Come down to at least 3 majors (that's what I did) and ask relatives questions like; Do you see me majoring in this? Do you think I'll be successful in this major? Do you think the jobs fit in me? So forth.

There are many majors that you can "help people" with, but you aren't specific enough. Do you want to give advice and give an individual more self-esteem in life? If so, consider Social Work, Psychology, etc., mostly consisting the Social Sciences, or Do you want to create tools for people to use that will be beneficial towards their life? If so, consider Engineering. There are just a lot of majors to consider of helping people. No desk job? If you like to travel outside the forest...maybe you can consider Environmental Engineering, but I do not know since you gave little information about yourself. (as in talents, what you want to do, etc.)

Good luck!

You could look into social work .. There's a lot of flexibility and variability of what type of clients you could work with I.e. The elderly, children and families, those with mental health issues and those with disabilities. Also you could actually get a job with a charity with a social work degree. I rely enjoyed the course, it's tough though with work placements.

I wouldn't study psychology unless you're committed to the further masters and possibly phd you would need to become a licensed psychologist.

Counselling could be another option.

Talk to people in professions you're interested in and and ask them the good and the bad of their roles and also it's vital you get some work experience so you can be sure a career is the right one for yourself! Good luck :)

Source(s): I have an undergraduate degree in psychology and a MA in social work and am now a qualified social worker

You do not have to choose a major until the beginning of your junior year in college. Take classes here and there to explore your options first; then you can worry about choosing a major.

Choosing a major? Start with this page: http://bitly.com/1kXtY4w.