What other Name for YHVH do Christians use instead of JEHOVAH in their ministry ?

THE FATHER AND CREATOR OF JESUS

PSALM 83:18

That Jehovah was truly the Father or Life-Giver to this firstborn Son and, hence, that this Son was actually a creature of God is evident from Jesus’ own statements. He pointed to God as the Source of his life, saying, “I live because of the Father.” According to the context, this meant that his life resulted from or was caused by his Father, even as the gaining of life by dying men would result from their faith in Jesus’ ransom sacrifice.—Joh 6:56, 57.

Favorite Answer

The name of God is spelled with the Hebrews letters [yod], [heh], [vav], and [heh], read from right to left and then transliterated into English as JHVH (called the Tetragrammaton). In the King James it is translated 'JEHOVAH' seven times (and rendered 'LORD' and/or 'GOD'-all capital letters) the remainder [6510] times.

Each of the letters of the Hebrew alphabet paints a picture. The letters in the name of God( the Tetragrammaton ) illustrate the following:

J= jod: It suggests a 'giving, extending hand' (Marc- Alain Oauknin,

Mysteries of the Alphabet, New Yark: Abbeville Press, 1999, p. 207).

H= heh: It represents an 'enclosure,' like heaven or a window( Mysteries of the Alphabet, p 191).

V= vav: It symbolizes a nail ( Mysteries of the Alphabet, p. 168). A `v' in English is a pictogram of the chiseled end of a nail.

In the 19th century, critics of the Bible where trying to refashion God's name, JEHOVAH. They asserted that the God of Israel's name should be pronounced [Yahweh] because to them he was nothing more than an offshoot of the pagan

deity"Yaho".

The Jews who would not say God's name and had ceased using JEHOVAH centuries before the Christian era [notes the classic scholar's edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica] which says that what actually stood in the text they pronounced was God's name "JEHOVAH"

(Encyclopedia Britannica, 11th edition (New York: Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc., 1910-11), vol. 15, pp. 311-314, s.v. Jehovah).

Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia say that old manuscripts Jehovah is the pronunciationof the Tetragrammaton:

"In the Masoretic text the usual form would give the pronunciation Yehovah [pronounced, Jehovah]"

(The New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge (New Yaork: Funk and Wagnalls, 1912), vol. 6, p. 117,

s.v. Jehovah; vol. 12, p. 470, s.v. Yahweh).

Theologian and writer John Gill's "A Dissertation Concerning the Antiquity of the Hebrew Language, Letters, Vowel-Points and Accents"- 1697-1771 documents the use of the name JEHOVAH from before 200B.C. and thoughout the centuries of the early church.

The Hebrew's Mishna allowed the name as a salutation(Berachoth, ix, 5); according to Thamid, the priest in the temple could use the true name but those in the country could only use Adonai (vii, 2); The name "JEHOVAH" was used by the priest in the sanctuary and on the day of Atonement.

(Moreh Nebukim. I, 61, and "Yad chasaka, " xiv, 10).

Documentations of John Gill cites the pronunciation of God's name as Jehovah back through the centuries:[277 B.C. p. 249] [A.D. 70 (i.e. Josephus. pp 219-221)] [A.D. 120 (i.e. Zohar, p 213)] [A.D. 200 (Lamentations 5:21 "the points [vowels] were then, "p. 198.)] [ A.D. 250 ("Origen...quotes the Hebrew reading of Psalms 118:25-26 which uses JEHOVAH three times with the vowels as the Jews did and still do with the point system, pp. 188-189, 192.)] [ A.D. 380 (" Jerome says that the word Jehovah was in his time) pp. 58-60, 175-176.)] [ A.D. 927 (Saadiah Gaon's book on the Hebrew vowel points cited the vowels of Jehovah, pp.140-141)]

Gill's documentation was very well known to the conservative Christian scholars

of his day. This is shown by the 1753 edition of Chamber's Cyclopedia. It cites

a Jehovist as "One who holds that the vowel-points annexed to the word Jehovah in Hebrew represent the actual vowels of the word" (OED, s.v. Jehovah).na pp.24-25

God's Name and the "New Testament"? Of course it should be. Mathew Levi wrote his gospel in Hebrew. It is unthinkable he would deliberately not include Jesus correct words when he used God's name when he READ Isaiah 60:1, 2. Jesus always stood for truth. Not like the religious leaders today who water down the truth of the Bible in order to compromise with every wind of teaching. See 2 Tim 4:3.

• trugoy

Well, consider no other persons carry on a ministry as Jesus commanded except for Jehovah's Witnesses.

They follow in the steps of Jesus and preach about the only true God Jehovah and the blessings his kingdom brings for all mankind.

These faithful Christians are the only ones "hallowing" the name of God as Christ instructed his followers.

They call him Lord which is what we would translate Baal. Some say Adonai which was once Adonis. They most commonly call him god though a general term for what the early scriptures say is a being of mixed righteousness and evil.

I really like what banana says about not using the name because it undermines the trinity. It shows how the one hundred plus times they're told to use his name mean nothing, how even though scripture says his true name is the only one he'll listen to they can still call him so many other things.

Father, Lord, Jehovah, God.

• ?

The word YHWH is used in most translations-with a w instead of v- the other name used with this is Yahweh, but I rarely hear tht name in church. I just hear God, the Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ, the lord, the Father, etc.

I honestly don't see why God would care what we call him. I also don't see why he would have a name since a name is a form of identification for an individual and there is only one God. YHVH means I am who I am, which is what god said to Moses on mt. Sinai

"God" is most commonly used

the name of yhwh was taken from the initials that moses wrote in place of the name for god the meaning of these letters was for writeing acronymicaly [your holy word here] the concept is that the ten comands fits to every religion therefore whatever religeon you claimed you would assert the name you know of for your god how you personal recognize him or her or if you realize it as both side created both from one being the name became yahweh by the addition of vowels to pronounce it yahweh is also as the yes way but i also considered if your way is not the correct way then it dont make sense to call your beleif yahweh where jehovah comes from is the tenth letter j as for the jah of joy and happyness plus justice and honour jah soohs in other words but jehoovah can also mean [just educate humanity of our victorious awesome healer] the jah cob also is represented here and i dont have a problem with either of these names although i profure to see god as santa cuz he did create everything we are given so thats a nick name like my own many names apply and many are good and well god has many names and the first of those was probly add-am as it says in genesis the first son himself and maybe the first thing being atoms which by their motion created light from that first man [made after nothing] but what do i know im just guessing and feeling out the answers but it feels right

Lord.

The very first time, that the word "jehovah" appeared, was in the first publication of the KJV Bible, in 1611 AD. The reason for this first appearance of "jehovah" is because the KJV was translated from the Latin Vulgate, which had the "Latinized" rendering of the Hebrew words Yah (I Am) and the Tetragrammaton YHWH; which pronounced "yo-vah" in the Masoretic Text.

In the 12th Century AD, Yah and YHWH (yo-vah) were vocally combined to come up with:

"yeh-ho-vah". This vocalization was Latinized into on one word, Iehovah, which, of course, was translated to English in 1611 AD, and starting with the letter "J" to come up with: Jehovah.

In Hebrew prayer, YHWH is replaced with Adonai, which means Master, or Lord depending on the context used. When Yah (I Am) and YHWH are literally translated to English, it should read: I Am The LORD.

Example Psalm 46:7 YHWH Tzevaot "The Lord of Hosts..." Therefore, taking into account the Latinized vocal combination of Yah and YHWH, Jehovah literally means: I Am The Lord.

This shows, that when Yah and the Tetragrammaton were Latinized in the 12th Century AD, Jehovah is not a name, but, just a mere epithet; a nickname and not a real name.

The Name, Ha Shem, is ineffable, unspeakable and unknowable. The word Lord (Adonai) should be used when referring to God.

• banana

When I was a Catholic we at times in our religion class used the name Yahweh but never in church. I think I thought of it as just another title like Lord. We never referred to God as Yahweh. When you use a name for God it really undermines the trinity doctrine and I feel that's the main reason most in christendom don't like the name Jehovah or never refer to God by name just by the term "Lord" or "God".

jw.org

Do you think He would hold fault, if you did not know the correct name? Remember this, I am that I am!! If you call Him, does it matter whether it Jesus or Yesua or God or Yehava, I beleive that's how you spell it. Anyways , can't see Him holding fault, on not knowing!

Real Christians are the ones who follow Christ as Jehovah's Witnesses do and they make God's name known as Christ did, (John 17:25, 26) 25 Righteous Father, the world has, indeed, not come to know you; but I have come to know you, and these have come to know that you sent me forth. 26 And I have made your name known to them and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”