Bla asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 6 years ago

Do ants have personalities?

I was sitting at my desk and I heard a noise. It was an ant dragging this huge crumb across a paper. When I picked the paper up, he was startled and he dropped his crumb, but once he realized he was in danger, his first instinct was to grab the crumb and run for it. I thought this behavior was similar to a human's.

Then another ant was crawling on me. Before swiping him off, I watched him. It seemed as though the little guy's abdomin was itchy- he was rubbing his legs frantically against it, before bending around to gnawl the itchy spot. This reminds me of how a cat or a dog would do the same.

What other behaviors do ants have, and do ants have traits that differ from other ants?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Albert
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

No. They do not have the brain capacity for personality. They do however learn, which can cause individual ants to react differently to the same stimulus. This may make it seem to you that they do. (Anthropomorphism is a human behavior).

Addition in response to some comments: This is a very simplified expalnation - Personality is partially heritable and partially learned. Genes set the limits of possible behavior. Stimuli from the environment determine the finer points. If the brain capacity required to have personality is not present, personality cannot exist.

• Mabel
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

No. They do not have the brain capacity for personality. They do however learn, which can cause individual ants to react differently to the same stimulus. This may make it seem to you that they do. (Anthropomorphism is a human behavior).

Addition in response to some comments: This is a very simplified expalnation - Personality is partially heritable and partially learned. Genes set the limits of possible behavior. Stimuli from the environment determine the finer points. If the brain capacity required to have personality is not present, personality cannot exist.

• 6 years ago

I do not know. They seem to act almost like sophisticated robots, with automatic responses to a lot of different stimuli.

However, I would not be surprised if they do have some personality differences, even so.

• 6 years ago

Hmm, i think they do to an extent :)

For example, some ants may be brave and go out & be adventurous while others go back and tell the colony

Source(s): Antz
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.