Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 7 years ago

Top must-see classic movies?

I was talking to to a young man the other day and he didn't understand a famous film quote. It turned out that he had never seen the rather famous classic film from which the quote originated. Furthermore he had not seen many of the classic films which have become icons in our culture.

So in terms of understanding pop culture - American culture in particular, what are the must-see classic films?

Update:

Thanks. All good answers. Difficult choice. I came up with a list of 88 films divided into 2 categories: 1. "Landmark" films that are absolutely essential. 2. Just great films.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

As a long-time fan of American movies, here are some of my suggestions, starting with the first decade of hit sound films.

Live action films:

1930s: Gone with the Wind, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Wizard of Oz (All 1939)

1940s: Citizen Kane, The Maltese Falcon (1941), Casablanca (1942)

1950s: Singin' in the Rain (1952) Rebel Without a Cause (1955) (If you are a fan of science fiction, the 1950s contain many timeless classics, including War of the Worlds (1953) and The Blob (1958)

1960s: Psycho (1960), Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb (1964), The Graduate (1967), Cool Hand Luke (1967) 2001 a Space Odyssey (1968).

1970s: The Godfather I and II (1972 and 1974, Respectively) Jaws (1975) Rocky (1976) Star Wars (Renamed Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope) (1977)

1980s: Star Wars Episodes V (The Empire Strikes Back) and VI (Return of the Jedi) (1980 and 1983, respectively) E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (1982) The Indiana Jones Series (Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)). The Shining (1980) Die Hard (1988)

1990s: Forrest Gump (1994) Titanic (1997), The Matrix (1999) Star Wars I, The Phantom Menace (1999)

2000s: Lord Of The Rings (2001) Pirates Of The Caribbean (2003) Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones (2002), Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith (2005).

As far as the 2010s go, I think that it is too recent to reflect on.

Cartoon movies: Some of the best and most popular mainstream cartoon movies in the United States are produced by Disney. Others have been produced by Dreamworks, Universal, and other companies. However, especially in recent years, massive amounts of computer animated movies have been released by a number of companies, and are very poor quality and are produced only to cater to children, such as the Nut Job, Rio, Despicable Me, Turbo, and Free Birds.

IN CONCLUSION:

These are just some of the iconic American movies. There are many others worthy of watching, so further research into decades of cinema should provide ideas of important films to see.

The Library of Congress lists many American Films in Its National Film Registry, which is posted on Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Film_Registr...

• 7 years ago

Wizard of Oz

Gone With the Wind

Casablanca

It's a Wonderful life

The Godfather

Stand by Me

Citizen Kane

The Third Man

All About Eve

Adventures of Robin Hood

The Philadelphia Story

The Grapes of Wrath

Mary Poppins

Miracle on 34th Street

Rebel Without a Cause

The Birds

Psycho

Jaws

The Goonies

Breakfast at Tiffany's

The Godfather

Sunset Blvd.

High Noon

Singing in the Rain

Star Wars

Rear Window

West Side Story

On the Waterfront

To Be or Not to Be

• 7 years ago

Gone with the wind

Casablanca

Street Car Named Desire

Citizen Kane

Its a wonderful life

The Wizard of Oz

Rebel without a cause

The Godfather

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

Rocky

• 5 years ago

Til the Clouds Roll By starring Judy Garland

The Medicine Man starring Jack Benny

Disorder in the Court starring The Three Stooges

Malice in the Palace starring The Three Stooges

The Brideless Groom starring The Three Stooges

Let's Get Tough starring East Side Kids

The Last Time I Saw Paris starring Elizabeth Taylor

Jane Eyre starring Virginia Bruce

A Star is Born starring Janet Gaynor

The Racketeer starring Carole Lombard

Gulliver's Travels starring Jessica Dragonette

Managed Money starring Shirley Temple

The General starring Buster Keaton

The Kid starring Charlie Chaplin

Long John Silver starring Robert Newton

The Scarlet Letter starring Coleen Moore

The Inspector General starring Danny Kaye

The Paleface starring Buster Keaton

That Gang of Mine starring East Side Kids

Son of Monte Cristo starring Louis Hayward

Captain Kidd starring Charles Laughton

The Time of Your Life starring James Cagney

A Farewell to Arms starring Gary Cooper

The Scarlet Pimpernel starring Leslie Howard

The Black Pirate starring Doug

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.