Multistep Reaction Help?

I'm pretty confused about this reaction. The answer is supposed to be C. So I understand the first step involves a Grignard reaction. The triple bond from the alkyne makes the CH hydrogen slightly positive, which allows the Grignard reagent to attack and bond to the terminal alkyne carbon. Now the part where... show more I'm pretty confused about this reaction. The answer is supposed to be C. So I understand the first step involves a Grignard reaction. The triple bond from the alkyne makes the CH hydrogen slightly positive, which allows the Grignard reagent to attack and bond to the terminal alkyne carbon.

Now the part where I get confused. There's an acid catalyzed ring opening reaction. The epoxide oxygen is protinated and the water molecule that forms then attacks the ring again,opening it and bonding to the other carbon so you get a 1,2 diol. Please correct me if I'm wrong up to here.

What happens next though? Is there a charge on the phenol carbon chain I'm missing? I don't see how I can get C. Any help in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
1 answer 1