wap asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 6 years ago

Why do people think that we can achieve a better society?

we can't achieve a better society , cuz human nature is greedy and selfish. There will always be inequality,poverty and unfairness. We can't change reality. Life is unfair, deal with it. We should admire rich people more cuz they are smarter and more talented than others, they are superior than others. We can't change human nature.

• Zol
    Favorite Answer

Who says we can't achieve a better society? Tell that to Martin Luther King. Tell that to Nelson Mandella. Tell that to Emaline Pankhurst. Tell that to that teenager who died of cancer recently, but who raised over a million pounds for cancer support in his last months.

We should certainly admire successful people. They make things happen. But we should also admire people who stand up for human rights. Without such people there would still be worldwide slavery accepted as the norm. Without such people financial might would be right & to hell (literally & figuratively) to anyone unable to defend themselves.

Are you (or your parents) rich? To what sector of society to you belong? Are you working class? Do those with financial power have rights over the plebs that get in their way. Do you believe might is right? Do you believe in the law of the jungle? If you want something & I want it & I'm bigger & richer than you do I have the right to make your life hell until you back down & I get it? I think not.

People believe we can have a better society because they're right. We can. We only need one law. Treat others as you'd have them treat you.

The fact that you, a mere nobody, is free to post your opinion here on this site is a testament to those who fought for (and won) the right to a better society. The battle isn't over yet since while you have freedom of speech (and freedom of lots of other things) there are still many whose society has room for improvement.

• Greg

Of course we can. If people were not capable of change we'd all still be living in feudal kingdoms slaving away for a despot.

That is the most sad, defeatist attitude I've ever seen.

How do you manage to get out of bed if that is your worldview?

For thousands of years people thought the idea of humans flying was completely insane...... now a million people do it daily. If not knowing the way forward was a bar against EVER finding a way forward.... modern society would not and could not exist. And yet.... here we are... communicating on the internet while jets full of people fly over and a human-manned laboratory orbits overhead.

I beg to differ: we CAN change society but not by electing the same people we have been. When the only choice we have to vote for in any given election is "the lesser of two evils" there is something fundamentally flawed with a political system that forces us to make that choice. When in our supposed "two party system" both of them sound like each other and, in the case of the last Mississippi senate race, campaign and vote for each other, then there is something fundamentally wrong with our political system. And that thing that is wrong is "US"... we put them there; we defend them against each other. All the independent polls show what we are collectively thinking but we still defend failure after failure by this government and why? Party politics. We cheer for it as if they are our local sports franchise. All we are doing is perpetuating their power while we get nothing from them. They are in it for themselves not for us. The Founding fathers had a pretty good system but they neglected to factor in one thing: a corrupted system protected by a corrupted press that we accept as "normal". They fought against their oppressors while we simply re-elect them again and again!

I mean we were still just as greedy when it was perfectly acceptable for me to hit you over the head with a club so I could have the rest of your mammoth meat. We've come pretty far if you ask me....

A knowledge of history, which proves with a doubt we can achieve a better society.

Reading, the more you know.

of course a society can change, even if people are still greedy. change can be made through laws that protects the people.

• Frank

So we shouldn't try to make things better?

That seems a bit short-sighted.

We have had a much better society in my lifetime than we have now, so how do you explain that?

We can achieve a "better" society... just not a perfect one.

Where there is a will there is a way.