? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 years ago

What does this mean?

I know what I did was a stupid mistake so please no lectures. I shoplifted at walmart and I got a court date for July. The police officer just gave me a ticket with the court date and said some resitution. But a few weeks later I got a letter saying I owe 150.00 & if I paid it within 15 days walmart stores inc will have no further civil remedy against you arising from the events occurring on (date.) what does this mean? Does this mean if I pay it I will no longer have to go to court? Will it still go on my record? Help please

Favorite Answer

The letter that Walmart sent you is called a civil demand letter. It is separate from your criminal case. You still have to go to court.

Yes. It means that if you pay Walmart, then they will drop their civil suit against you. You can double check with Walmart, but I believe that means you will not need to go to court.

You certainly have a record, but it looks like you were not arrested, so it is not a criminal record.

Recommendations: Pay Walmart's fee. Doublecheck you don't have to show up in court. Don't shoplift.

You can actually walk right in to the courthouse, make your payment, and ask the gal behind the desk while you're there if you have to go to court or not. Depending on what you stole, they more than likely want to avoid having to spend county dollars on an item taken from Walmart.

I'm not sure about the court record, but they're saying that you wont have to go to court if you pay 150. I'd do it.

That was a really stupid thing to do.

Right. Pay them the $150. and they will not take civil court action against you. You do not want a criminal record or no employer will hire you.