why dont mormons recognize all the books of the bible?

the mormons claim to accept the bible and other books as scripture as long as they are translated correctly. When king james created his version he left out many books the book of judas, third letter to corinthians, the didache, etc....Why hasnt tom manson allowed these to be included? Perhaps he could also ask god for some more gold plates that would appear more relevant?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Good question- why do they basically use the protestant canon of scripture- with the addition of the Book of Mormon?

I would venture to guess he didn't know about them and didn't really read about the early church when setting up the LDS. I personally think Joe's whole motive with starting the LDS was to sleep around.

• rac
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Publius is the closest to answering your question. I would only add that Joseph Smith asked the Lord what to do with the Apocrypha and other such "scriptures"? The Lord told him that it was not necessary or needful to translate those works as they had been corrupted more than the other books and even though they contained much that was good, they also contained much that was wrong. If a person read them with the Holy Ghost as a guide, they could gain much useful instruction from them but without it they could be misled. Therefore, the King James Version was deemed to be sufficient for our purposes.

D&C 91

1 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you concerning the Apocrypha—There are many things contained therein that are true, and it is mostly translated correctly;

2 There are many things contained therein that are not true, which are interpolations by the hands of men.

3 Verily, I say unto you, that it is not needful that the Apocrypha should be translated.

4 Therefore, whoso readeth it, let him understand, for the Spirit manifesteth truth;

5 And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit therefrom;

6 And whoso receiveth not by the Spirit, cannot be benefited. Therefore it is not needful that it should be translated. Amen.

See also the 9th Article of Faith

9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

Source(s): My LDS opinion
  • 6 years ago

I'm not aware of any Christian faiths that accept passages of the Bible that they know are not translated correctly. What is really bizarre is that there are people who believe the Bible to be perfect - regardless of which books are included and regardless of poor translations. It's really like talking to a child who just doesn't understand where the various bibles came from, and why they differ. Perhaps in their minds they picture Jesus carrying around a Bible - hundreds of years before the first one was printed. Never mind that such a bible would not include one New Testament book. Their faith in God requires a belief that God somehow strikes dead anyone who tampers with sacred writ. Having lost the Holy Ghost, they must of necessity put all their faith in the printed word.

• 6 years ago

1. We do. All the books of the King James Bible (except maybe the Song of Solomon).

Jesus taught us that there are many truths hidden in the apocrypha, but they must be studied with the assistance of the Holy Ghost.

2. Jesus hasn't instructed him to include the apocrypha, that's why.

3. You mock us, but God has more to teach us. Don't be surprised if new books of scripture appear.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

I'm not aware of any Christian faiths that include lost of additional books in their Bible Texts - and Mormons are one of the few if not the only CHristian Church that recognizes that there ARE additional holy texts and additional revelation and books from the Almighty and more probably forthcoming yet....

We also recognize that MAN has tainted much of God's Holy word through the centuries due to mistranslation and repeated translation. God's Truth is hardly PERFECT on the earth in written form.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

It's called apocrypha, and while some disagree with which books are apocrypha, you seem like you don't have a clue on how deep that rabbit hole goes - look it up, it's scores of books, not a few.

• Duck
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

The funny thing is, most Protestants don't recognize all of the books of the Bible either.

• 6 years ago

Mormons have formed their own Mormon Book scriptures based on Family values. And they have a strong faith based on those theologies. However, they speak of a different Jesus, which is not the Jesus Christ of the Bible.

• whew6
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

Perhaps you are not aware, that we are guided and directed by a living Prophet of God. Believe me, if there was anything available that we would need, God would be aware of such and we would receive anything and everything we would need to ensure our salvation and Exaltation. But thank for asking!

Source(s): I am LDS
  • Neerp
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

I nominate this as "stupid question of the day".

The answer to your question is because what we have is good enough for now.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.