Michael asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

I just came home from the vet, and my dog wont walk?

My dog injured his dewclaw this morning. He was panting and shaking, but he was walking fine. We took him to the vet and they removed the dewclaw and bandaged him. He walked energetically to the car and we rode back home. We got out of the car and he again, walked fine to the house. He stopped at the bottom of the stairs and so I carried him up. I had to coax him into the house. I carried him up to my room and he's still standing where I put him down. It's been over 20 minutes and he hasn't moved. He looks around and CAN move, but chooses not too. Is it just because he's a little drugged, and maybe in pain?

• Bec

Anaesthetics often make animals very dopey so they don't feel like getting up and running around. And if he's in pain he wont bear weight on that paw either.

Dogs are actually pretty wimpy about bandages - all dogs I've ever known have refused to put a paw with a bandage on the floor (let alone walk on it!) but hobble on if left unbandaged.

When my dog had an anasethetic he stood and wobbled for hours afterwards. Even when he did lay down he kept nearly falling over sideways. It really affected him for some reason (my cat was running around like a mad idiot chasing her brother the same day as she was spayed - so it does vary from animal to animal about how well they cope and how long before it wears off)

When dogs are given an anaesthetic it can take a long time for this to get out of their system. If your dog is an older dog, it takes longer.

However if he won't rest and remains standing, phone your vet for advise.