Do you think Chuck Berry is the second greatest Rock artist and guitarist after The Beatles?

I like Chuck Berry and I listen to his songs because he is a magnificent rock n roll artist. He revolutionized song writing, created a new sound from his electric guitar and has his own creation. Chuck Berry is also known as the king of rock n roll over Elvis. Chuck Berry to me is second closest to The Beatles in rock n roll.

Of course, The Beatles are known as the greatest artists of all time in not just rock n roll but in all music. But I still like Chuck Berry better because his electric guitar playing is bit heavier than The Beatles electric guitar playing!

So do you think Chuck Berry is the second greatest electric guitarist after The Beatles?

And who is better, Chuck Berry or The Beatles?

• Favorite Answer

Chuck Berry was incredibly influential, in fact he influenced the Beatles a great deal. I would consider Chuck Berry along with Little Richard to be the 2 most important figures for the BIRTH of Rock N Roll. The Beatles are possibly the most influential band of all time. That being said I consider neither The Beatles nor Chuck the greatest or second greatest rock artists of all time. I think you especially mistyped the question at the end which you wrote "So do you think Chuck Berry is the second greatest electric guitarist after The Beatles?

" Are you asking if Chuck Berry was better than George Harrison? Eh, they're both very different, but I wouldn't put either of them in my top 50 guitarists.

• Danny
      6 years agoReport

Nice

• Danny

Lotsa stuff in your question!

First and most importantly, the "greatness" of anyone, whether a scientist, military commander, or guitar player is only meaningful in the perspective of time. Chuck flat out got there first relative to the Beatles, so there's that.

George Harrison, like most of the 'Brit guitarists of his time, readily acknowledged being influenced by CB, almost to the point that it was assumed. George was good, but mainly in being part of a history-changing band, not as a fine lead guitar player. The Beatles were not a "guitar player".

Meanwhile, Chuck was - and always will be Chuck. If you dig down on it, some pretty heavy guys will at least point out the huge part the pianist Johnnie Johnson had in the sound, and that's just polite.

The question of who were, or are, the greatest rock players is never gonna get shorter than maybe 25.

In passing, here's the one that got me started, way, way, way back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFo8-JqzSCM

Youtube thumbnail

Comin' back to drop this for consideration, really well done "history"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV_zsnOuam4

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): Playing since 1964, now retired

I am a little biased as I live in St.Louis.He lives her and has his own room to perform in when ever he wants.Dylan always visits him in the loop when he plays here.Bob puts Chuck pretty high on the rock history ladder.But what Berry does is as much style and old rock n roll as it is ability.I would say he is the greatest singular rock musician of all time.It's never been Chuck Berry and the Berries.He does not and never has had a band.He lets anyone play back up while he puts on his show.The first time I saw him he came to our high school.He is a shady character but truly one of the greats.But he is not one of the great guitarists in rock.Like I said it was Chuck himself and the songs he wrote,not his mastery of the guitar that made him great.He is a nasty guy having been arrested here in St.Louis for using hidden cameras in the women's bathroom at a restaurant he owned at the time.He has a long history of that type of thing.He is no stranger to the law.

"The Beatles" isn't a guitar player. You could be referring to either Paul, John or George. Chuck Berry is without question one of the most influential guitarists in the history of rock music. Whether he is more or less talented than The Beatles, or anyone else, is a matter of personal taste.

I have to agree with Kyle both very innovative and influential chuck more than George. Neither one is close to the greatest that's jimi Hendrix. And I wouldn't get carried away calling the Beatles the greatest artists of all time, considering they didn't write their music for the first half of their career. The Beatles were also pretty much mediocre musicians anyway. Paul is a better drummer then Ringo.

• rnrstar137
      6 years agoReport

Beatles didn't write their music for the first half of their career? Seriously? Yeah they played some covers but the Beatles still wrote the overwhelming majority of songs on their early albums.

The idea of the "greatest guitarist" is to objective, there are things to take into account: ability to write interesting, complex, technical, and catchy guitar riffs are things that come to mind. Some people may say Jimi Hendrix, some people may say hes overrated. There are many guitarists in the world, I believe to find the one you truly love the most you have to search very far, with popular bands and un popular bands. For example, one of my favorite guitarists is Dave Mustaine of Megadeth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlR4XtnmjPc

Youtube thumbnail

His guitar playing exceeds my standers for everything that I take into account, click on this link and see! Another guitarist that I really like is Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains, he may not be technical but hes made some really cool riffs, that despite there simplicity are really interesting! Anyway so yeah, that's what I have to say!

Source(s): Huge music fan

Come on.....seriously?

Oliver? is that you? I only know one guy THAT into Beatles and Berry......

Jimi Hendrix is better.