If Liberals want to fix infrastructure, Why won't they cut the gas tax, expand highways, and expand airports?

Who uses trains and public transit anyways?

Update:

we don't need the gas tax. if we just cut waste and use our regular taxes, then it should be funded properly. or privatize...

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago
    Best Answer

How to expand highways and airports without a gas tax?

Those things are not free you know!

• 5 years ago

Because those are very radical propositions that won't be agreed too unless all of a sudden, a few million people living in the downtown regions decide that they're going to spend a 2 hour walk getting to work. Highways won't go everywhere in the center of a city, and airports are only exporting these people. You fail to realize that public transit delivers people within a congested area.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Expanding roadways actually increases travel times

Source The Power Broker by Robert Caro

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1111.The_Power_...

In an America where our population densities are increasing ( 2/3 of America lives in the 1/3 of America that lies East of the Mississippi River ) and our supply of oil is decreasing investing in mass transit is the only long term solution that works

• 5 years ago

"Who uses trains and public transit anyways?"

Nobody here. Everyone everywhere else. They suck here, that's the problem.

You can't use a symptom of the problem as evidence against fixing it. e.g. "You don't need spinal surgery to restore the use of your legs, I never see you walk anywhere."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Frank
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Yes! That is is the GOP platform - just cut taxes and spend a lot of money to expand the government.

Then be surprised there is a deficit.

• 5 years ago

I have a ticket from Boston to Buffalo on Amtrak for tomorrow heading for World Pride 2014 in Toronto, so I guess I use trains.

• 5 years ago

Fixing things in the confines of accepted economic paradigm must help. We must get beyond corporatism.

• y
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

He have thousands of abled body prisoners that we could put to doing these jobs right now. They should think of it as job training.

• J M
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Cut tax and spend more? Sounds like Republican logic.

• 5 years ago

Because if they did all of this.............ALL of their 'free' stuff would go away and they'd have to work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.