Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 years ago

Which is a better book?

Angelou, Maya I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Coelho, Paulo: The Alchemist

Gibbons, Kaye: Ellen Foster

Kidd, Sue Monk: The Secret Life of Bees

Picoult, Jodi: My Sister’s Keeper

Rosnay, Tatiana de: Sarah’s Key

Spiegelman, Art. Maus I: A Survivor’s Tale

Wolff, Tobias: This Boy’s Life: A Memoir

• Kelley
    Favorite Answer

I've actually read all of these :)

I didn't like The Alchmist. I'm in a minority there because most people were very moved by it. I didn't think it was one of Coelho's best.

My Sister's Keeper was one of the first Jodi Picoult's I read. Though I've outgrown the melodrama inherent in Picoult's books, this was an enjoyable book. Possibly, it was more timely for me as I was going through a bone marrow transplant with the help of my older sister. In any case, parts were very slow.

The rest were outstanding. Sarah's Key was probably the most quick, engrossing read. That's not to say that it left the biggest impression, it was just a page turner for me.

Maus is a graphic and as such, is pretty easy going. Again, some deep subject matter, but delivered in a way that's easier for some to digest.

The Secret Life of Bees was another near page-turner for me. Great story. Great characters.

Ellen Foster was a good read. The writing style got on my nerves. But still a worthwhile read.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings will always be my favorite of these. This Boy's Life runs a close second though. Both are memoirs, perhaps that's why they appealed more to me.

"Better" is subjective. Each person brings to a book their own life experiences. So each book is different for each person. This is particularly true when you're talking about very deep and meaningful reads like those on this list.

Go to the library or Amazon where you can access the first chapter or so of each. Spend an afternoon reading those chapters and choose the one that appeals most to you.

Angelou, Maya

• ?

You use the word "better" when talking about two things, not several. My suggestion is you pick the most challenging book because you could use it.

My sisters keeper (:

my sister's keeper!!