Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 6 years ago

Please give me an insight about Flight Dynamics and Control.?

Hey everyone!I just started reading about Flight Dynamics and Control Analysis by Rauw.

Here's a link to it's pdf version:

http://www.et.byu.edu/~beard/classes/ece682rweb/ww...

Honestly I have no clear idea about this stuff.I have few queries which you might clear with your knowledge.. (:

1.What does this book aim to teach about flight design?

2.He talks about errors and deviations in the AFCS design &... What kind of errors does he mean?And why would computers commit errors?(I truly don't know!)

3.How does a "real-time simulation" work?

4.What is meant by linearized models, Linearized equations, Non-linear model, ....?What's this "Linear" word signify?

5.There's an "AFCS design cycle"(A flow chart type) on the 16th page of the book..I couldn't decipher much about what he is intending to teach me in it..Please do let me know about the cycle

I was trying my best to understand the lessons with my naive knowledge about flights and "googling" every new term in the book but still it's kinda blurred.

If you know any better book or a web-site (about the flights stuff) which you think is very useful to go through..Please do let me know. (:

I am grateful to anyone who cared to spare some time in educating me!Thank you so much in advance! :D

Favorite Answer

1- nothing. It is about how to use a special add-on tool to Simulink to assist in aircraft design

2- the difference between how the aircraft is expected to behave and the way it actually does, owing to randomness that cannot be modeled. Any automated control system requires a feed-back loop to assess where it is as opposed to where it should be, and to apply corrections until the deviation is negligible.

3- it uses a dynamic model that reassess the input and output continuously; that requires either excess computational power, or the ability for some components to be called less often, to account for the changing demand of the calculation. Basically, this means not only determining where the simulated model should be at at each moment, but also how it will change in time, so that a fairly good prediction of its next state is determined ahead of time in a manner that allows the reaction to be pre-computed -- albeit sometime in a crude way -- in order to compensate for the fact a complete computation may not be performed in time to have the perfect answer when it is needed. The idea is to have a 'good enough' model rather than aim for a perfect one which is essentially impossible to get.

4- Suppose that if you have A input, you get B result, and if you have C input, you get D result. A linear system would have that if you have A+C, then you should get B+D. A non linear system would get a result that is B+D+E, with E being the result of the interaction of A and C. That is the non-linear component.

5- this is not about teaching, the chart illustrates the many loops that are needed, including testing and tuning parameters, for an AFCS system to be deemed an adequate predictor of an aircraft behavior, so that it could perform the require flight control duty.

If this is beyond you, as your question seems to imply, perhaps you should concentrate on learning the basics. For stability and control, you could check out the books by Jan Roskam, which are quite popular in the aerospace world (see http://www.darcorp.com/Books/?url=/Books )

Source(s): Aerospace engineer

(1) Reread the Preface. That tells you the aim of the book.

2) It sounds like you're starting out a bit over your head. You should begin with a basic text on flight dynamics, stability and control. Here, try this: http://www.netc.navy.mil/nascweb/api/student_guide...

3) Once you have absorbed that, then tackle this: https://www.calvin.edu/.../FinalPaper_315_latest.d...