promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo MailAbuse and Spam · 6 years ago

Paypal/Craigslist Scam Ghana Africa?

Hello

I received text messages from someone who is willing to buy my stuff on craigslist and asked to send it to Ghana, Africa to his brother who is working there. He asked to use paypal and is offering $100 for shipping.

If this is a scam please tell me I have not send anything yet because its sounds really odd.

Here's part of the email I received as a confirmation on paypal:

Important Note: This PayPal® Payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED" but will not be credited to your account until the shipment confirmation number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send the shipment reference/tracking number to us or email us through this mail customerserviceverifylink@rocketmail.com and our customer service care will attend to you. As soon as you send us the shipment's tracking number for security purposes and the safety of the buyer with the seller,the money will be credited to your account.

*PLEASE NOTE*

Once shipment has been verified and the tracking number sent to us,we will verify and credit your account.

You will receive a " CONFIRMATION EMAIL" from PayPal® informing you that the Money has been credited and once the shipment has been finalized by you, your account will be credited immediately. The Payment is being made under your name.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

SCAM. Here is an article from back in 2008 explaining the scam but people still keep falling for it http://consumerist.com/2008/10/30/how-a-nigerian-s...

Read Craigslist's scam warnings page where they specifically warn users to ONLY deal with people they can meet face to face, NEVER give out Paypal details to anyone and AVOID ALL transactions involving shipping http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

There are many other variations of the Craigslist/Paypal scam:

- a version of #1 but the fake Paypal email will be for MORE than you asked for and you will be asked to wire the balance to the "shipper" or some other person through Western Union or Moneygram

– you get a spoofed Paypal email asking you to click a link to verify/accept the transaction, and that link leads you to a phishing site that looks exactly like Paypal’s home page but by logging in, you just gave the scammers your account details so they can hack your account and use it to pay for items online

- they pay with a hacked Paypal account hoping you ship the item or they or their “mover” or “shipper” pick up the item before the real account holder discovers the theft, reports it to Paypal and Paypal withdraws the money from your account

- Paypal ONLY protects you if YOU arrange the shipping to the buyer's verified address. Scammers know this but hope you don't. So they pay with their account then either send a "shipper" (scammer using another fake name) to pick up the item or they have you send to a father/son/friend/etc overseas or in another state Then once they have the item or you have sent it, they file a dispute with Paypal claiming their email and Paypal accounts have been hacked and there is an unauthorised transaction. Paypal contacts you asking for proof of delivery to the buyer's verified address. You won't have this as the scammer either picked up from you or shipped to an unverfied address, and Paypal refunds the money and the scammer keeps your item and resells it for cash

- With electronic items, scammers who have broken/damaged items scour the internet for the same make/model in other cities. They buy your item, pay with Paypal, then file a chargeback claiming the item doesn't work. They send you their broken one back and paypal refunds their money. With designer items, they buy your item, claim it’s counterfeit, then send you a fake one back – whether it’s a Rolex watch, Louis Vuitton handbag, Gucci wallet, etc

And once the scammers have your Paypal account details they will use password hacking software to hack your account to “pay” their next victim

Considering Paypal prohibits ALL transactions with Ghana, this is a scam

Forward that email you got to spoof@paypal.com and ignore future threats. The scammers are now going to email you claiming to be from the FBI, Paypal or the police threatening you with a lawsuit or arrest if you don't send the item or send the money to them. Ignore them all - it's all part of the scam

And you should now change your email address as the scammers are going to keep targeting you with phishing scams and harassing you. And change your Paypal email address ASAP as they use password hacking software to hack your account if you don't send the item

• 6 years agoReport

Even though I left this out I only asked this question because this is my first time selling on craigslist so I had no idea this was going to happen. Thanks for answering so politely and clearly for me.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

Craigslist has a big warning about this thief. They want to shut him down. Read their page about scams.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

You must be living under a rock, That is one of the oldest scams around.

DO NOT FALL FOR IT!!!

• Jim
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Scam.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

feel free to send all your money.

a fool and his money are soon parted.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.