How much would you have made or lost on an investment of $1,000 on McDonalds?

How much would you have made or lost on an investment of $1,000 on Mcdonalds?

Hint: First find out how many shares you could've bought one year ago by dividing $1,000 by the price of the stock one year ago today. You may have to estimate the stock price from the graph. Round the number of shares to the nearest whole number. Then, find out the current value of your shares by multiplying the number of shares you bought by the price of the stock today.

Can you please explain to me how to do this? Like how do I find out how many shares I could have bought a year ago?

• Bob
    Favorite Answer

Go back an find the share price of McDonalds on the date indicated. So if the share price was $93.00 / share you would then divide 93 into $1000 ( or 10.75 shares rounded to 11) to find out how many shares you could have purchased.

• i've never come across anything on the internet where it will let you 'zoom' into the chart a year ago to find out the price. You can go back a year but you can't zoom in making it impossible to get an exact value. Download trading platform software, that will let you view it in detail so you'll be able to see the exact price.

Price of McDonald's shares on 16th June, 2013; $98.74 ( http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=MCD&a=0&b=2&c=1970... ), so a $1,000 investment would have purchased you ten shares....

Price of McDonald's shares today; $100.93 ( http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MCD ), so your shares would now be worth $1,009.30

BUT.....you would also have received about $33 in dividends

Buy physical gold is the only hope right now. In ten years when it's $2,500oz you'll be really happy with your hedge. Besides that, don't do bonds, the whole market is rigged by the fed and they hardly beat inflation, which is much more than reported. Don't do index's or mainstream stocks. I'd look for some really good individual stocks once you start learning how to pick and decide what you like about certain stocks.

When you ask this question it seems as though you are a novice at the stock market. It would seem that you are talking about buying and holding and that my friend will not have made you very much money.

As you get more experianced with trading you would have asked this questiona little differetly... such as. "I like MCD... what trading strategies woud yield me the highest return safely on this stock?"

Then you would get answers like Calender spreads, Covered calls, Credit spread, Channeling trades, selling naked puts. The list goes on and on. There are dozens of ways to make money with MCD and experiance will open your eyes over the years.

Remember the quality of your questions will greatly impact your results.

• tro

whatever the declared dividend is at the close of the year that MacDonald's publishes