Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 years ago

How would a notarized document hold up at TX DPS?

Hi, so I currently live with my aunt in Texas. My mother lives in Utah, and my father is a truck driver but has a permanent residence in Utah. They're divorced by the way. Im 15 going to be 16 in august, and my dad really hounded us to get my drivers ed started, so we did. This week will be my second week, and I already got my DE-964, that's basically just saying that I did attend the required hours of drivers ed, and passed the test. But when we went to my driving school to get processed (receiving the document and they told us what we needed and put it together for us) they saw that my aunt had a notarized letter from my mother sating she had the rights to do this,that, and the other. including that she could take me to get my drivers license etc. They don't know if DPS will take it, do you think that because its notarized they will?

Favorite Answer

A Notary attests to the IDENTITY of the person that signed the document. Unless the Notary is also an attorney, they are legally PROHIBITED from expressing an opinion as to the CONTENT of the document. The document is either valid or not, regardless of Notarization.

In your case, Your mother can create a Power of Attorney, naming your aunt as Attorney in Fact to sign on your mother's behalf. She CAN'T grant your aunt the authority to sign any document on behalf of your father, if that is required.

• 6 years agoReport

so since I only need one parents signature, will dps let her sign for me?

A Notary adds nothing.